1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Advice--ShuttleMAX 12.2 and STL-2-210T x 2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Whiskeyzipper, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Whiskeyzipper

Whiskeyzipper

Jan 11, 2012
    Michigan
    I’m thinking about selling my Genz-Benz 6.0-12T combo and STL-12T extension cabinet and purchasing two Genz-Benz STL-2-210T extension cabinets and a Genz-Benz ShuttleMAX 12.2 head to power them. My thinking is I can run each 2x10 cab with the independent power amps in the ShuttleMAX 12.2 so each cab is getting 375 watts at 8ohms (750 watts total running both cabs). If I go with the ShuttleMAX 6.0 I would only be getting 600 watts. If I stick with the regular Shuttle 6.0 or 6.2 I’m still at only 600 watts total running those two cabs. If I went with the ShuttleMAX 9.2 I think I would have too much power for the two STL-2-210T cabs as they are rated at 400 watts each and the ShuttleMAX 9.2 puts out 900 watts with a total 4ohm load. Not sure if running a 900 watt amp into two cabinets that are rated at 400 watts each could cause damage. I like the idea of going with the ShuttleMAX series because of the additional EQ the amp has. Just wondering if anyone has used the ShuttleMAX 12 series with two STL-210T extension cabs and what you thought about it. Also if anyone has any general comments on the proposed setup I’m thinking about I would welcome comments before I make a big purchase and find out later I didn’t think everything through and this is not a good set up for some reason. :mad:

2. That additional 75 watts going through each cab is negligible.

That said, the MAX 12.2 has better expandability, revised EQ and better sounding power section with 3DPM (based on the Shuttle 6.2 video review) compared to the Max 6.0. Haven't heard word about ShuttleMAX 6.2, I probably missed that one, but if you an afford the MAX 12.2 then I'd recommend going with it based on the better expandability.

... or get a NEOX-212 and save some money :)

3. Aaron_D

Aaron_D

May 9, 2010
    Tallahassee, FL
    I played through the 12 max and two stl-210t cabs for the better part of 2010. It was plenty of rig for all but the biggest stages. I now go with one Uber 212 getting only 600 vs the 210 vertical stack getting 725....the Uber 212 gives me a lot more punch on big stages.

So basically the max 12, 210x2 stack was great for portability, the ability to scale it up and down, and it fit great on tight stages.

The Uber 212 with the max 12 turned out to be a better solution for me. Still very manageable, but with the power for big outdoor stage pant flappery.

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I don't think you'd notice a real difference between the Max 9.2 and the Max 12.2 with two small 8ohm cabs.

Since the front end is identical on those amps, then the decision should be based on cab configuration. The wattage of each is fine with those cabs, so no issue there. A bit more wattage is never a bad thing, and the 9.2 would allow you to power a large 4ohm to full performance in the future, so that is the way I would go.

The ONLY reason I would decide on the 12.2 in your case is if you ever plan on having a 'below 4ohm need'. With a little planning, you should never have to put yourself in that situation. However, if, for example, you abolutely fall in love down the road with a cab that only comes in 4ohm version, then the 12.2 would allow you to run both of them, the 9.2 would not.

So, if you are set on the two 8ohm 210's, it would be the 9.2 all the way for me... a bit more power... what the heck. Again, the decision is ALL about your future plans and what type of capability you want (e.g., full power in a large 4ohm cabs, or the ability to run under 4ohms).

5. Whiskeyzipper

Whiskeyzipper

Jan 11, 2012
    Michigan
    Thanks for the answers—very helpful! I was kind of leaning towards the Genz/Benz Shuttle 9 series that puts out 900 watts into 4ohm because I would probably never need to power any more than the two 8ohm Shuttle extension cabs or maybe just one 4ohm 4x10 down the road so that would give me future flexibility. I was just worried the 900 watts the 9 series puts out might be too much for the two Shuttle 8ohm (2x10) cabs because they are rated for only 800 watts together (400 watts each). If something failed down the road with that setup I didn’t want to void any warranty because I over powered the Shuttle cabs with the 900 watt head.

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Zero issue. Most cabs will start to fart out (fail mechanically) LONG before you get into danger of power overload as measured by the max wattage recommendation spec of the cab. Just use common sense. If you are really cranking and hear distortion, turn down a bit. If you notice it on most of you gigs, time for bigger or more cabs!

7. Whiskeyzipper

Whiskeyzipper

Jan 11, 2012
    Michigan
    Aaron_D: When you played the ShuttleMax with the two STL-210T cabs I was wondering how you positioned the head on the cab to keep it from falling off--assuming you stacked the cabs? The extension cabs have the handle on top of the cab and the feet on the bottom of the head are not tall enough to clear the handle. Just wondering if you had a cleaver way to keep the handle on the amp and still secure the head to the top of the cab when you were playing.

8. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    9.2 in your situation bro... later on if you're running a 410 you're going to want the extra power. The 12.2 is better ONLY if you're running 2 cabs lower than 8 ohms