Need advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bl2112, Aug 1, 2009.

1. bl2112

bl2112

Jul 11, 2008
    Orlando
    About a year ago I started asking about this funny weird distortion from my Ampeg BA115. I've taken it to shop about 3 times and they could never find the problem and said dirty pots everytime. I've checked everything on the amp until recently read someone hear had the same issue and found it was the tweeter. I am done with this amp and had enough of this. I've been looking for a new amp since this one has been slowly dieing on me. I've had it for about a year and a half. Once this sound started it was the begining of the end. Volume drops and spikes, uncontrolable mud tone at high volumes. And I'm going to need a more dependable amp since my band is looking to gig now. So here's my questions.

Is it possible to buy a new tweeter and how much do they cost and where should I look.

I've been looking at a Acoustic head the B200 and think that should be enough for me for a while until I can afford a "pro" setup.
    What cab would be a good match? I want a 1 15 since I play in a dual guitar band. And are there any issues with this head?

Any help is good. And have a budget for about 500 bucks.

2. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    All BA115's have the tweeter hiss. Most people reach in the port and pull out the wire that runs to the tweeter. Just bad design really.

If you only have 500 to spend then definitely go used. We don't have the Acoustic stuff here in Canada so I can't vouch but it seems well liked on TB. Don't think you need a 1x15 to cut through. In fact a 2x10 pushes more air and tends to be tuned for more midrange which are the frequencies that that will cut through better.

Your best bet would be to find a used 2x10 with a 200 to 400 watt head for your budget.