Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Amp Help

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by srxplayer, Sep 26, 2004.

1. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I am being pressed into a bass role where I will need a bigger amp.

I don't want to deal with a head & cab set up yet so I need a a combo that can deal with a church setting that can seat about 300 to 500 people. Celings can be about 20' high.

I was thinking about an SWR Workingmans 15 and if needed I would get a 2 x 10 cab if extra punch is needed.

Has anyone used this set up? The SWR should run at 200 watts with the extention cab. I'm not sure if this will be enough.

Am I just dreaming or should I deal with the head & cab set up?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    What's your budget?

3. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    About $1,200.00 This is going to set back my plans for a new bass but I need to do this.

I am looking for convenience more than bang for the buck.

I have heard good and bad about the Workingman 15 but looks like the best option for a combo for this situation.

Any advice would be appreciated.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    At $1,200 I think that you might be on the right track for thinking of a combo amp. The two piece route is, for my buck, the best way to go for flexibility and expandibility, but costs a bit more to get into initially. The Workingman has a lot of fans, but I can't comment from experience on it myself. A lot of stores in smaller towns will let you rent it or take it out for a gig, so maybe see if you can swing something like that and try it out.

5. I had a quite useable Genz Benz ML 200 combo, 200 watts, came with a single 12. The speaker, a 150-watt Eminence, was a little weak, so I upgraded to a 400-watt Eminence, and it had plenty of power and decent tone. Theyr'e available new for around $500.

I'm now using an SWR Workingman's 2004 head, also 200 watts, into a Steel Sound 2x10 cab (Eminence speakers again). Better tone, just as portable if not more so, and I have about $425 into it.

Cheers, Tim