1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need an aggressive OD for alt rock/indie pop

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jaydnt, Jun 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jaydnt

jaydnt

Jun 18, 2017
    I'm having a hard time finding something that can cop the sound I need to get live. Focused with some "poke" but leaves enough room for fuzzed out guitar and synths. Not too woolly/compressed either but lots of grit.
    I'm using a P-bass or Stringray into a tech 21 british which is set up for a somewhat Chris Squire-esque clean sound.

What I've tried - Han Taun (love it but sounds better on guitar), dod 250, boss ds-2, Hot Cake, Honey Bee, VT bass, SFT v1, Diabolik, some other modded TS-types. (Loved some of these a lot but they haven't quite fit the mold)

What I'm looking at - Suppa Phat Phuk, SGFX Beta, Aguilar agro, darkglass VMT/b3k, TC Spark (full size), Box of Rock/distortron, and the SFT v2.

I'd love to have some good opinions/suggestions on what could get the sound I have in mind.

Nunovsky likes this.
  2. Tourniquet Man

Tourniquet Man

Jun 12, 2015
    Ive heard the ss/bs mini is good

3. erigod23

erigod23

Mar 19, 2007
    Fredericton, NB
    I love the ss/bs mini, but I love the Fuzzrocious Cat Tail even more.

rratajski likes this.
  4. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Blower Box, Cat Tail, SS/BS Mini

5. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Some very different sounding units there.
    Suppa Phat Phuk is intended more as a dirty boost than a distortion/overdrive. From what I've heard, it can still get a little dirty. I like the germanium sound.

SGFX Beta. Tried it out but it was darker than I liked, and kinda wooly. I'd not use it to poke out.

Agro. Owned one. Can get pretty nasty and it can poke through. It can also feel like the bottom falls out in some settings. It's almost the opposite of the Beta.

VMT/B3K. I've heard people use these to get good sounds, but I could never make them work for me (B7K and VMTD). It's an expensive route, but the AO is worth a look if you can afford it. It's got quite a range of sounds. I like mine and sold my B7K after getting it.

Don't know the others.

These might be a little high priced for your budget but I'll mention them...
    If you can find a used Damnation MDB-1 (new ones aren't currently available, but might be soon) I'd suggest giving that a look. Versatile box with a good range of sounds and a clean blend.

The Dunwich ODB is a good OCD clone for bass. Three band EQ is helpful, as are the clipping diode selection options. There are still a few available new, but once they go, they don't usually return fast.

Many other good options out there, and I'm sure they'll get mentioned. I'm sure Fuzzrocious will be suggested.

Impermanence, Nunovsky and XXL like this.
  6. Musky Bandit

Musky Bandit

Aug 30, 2016
    I'm a huge fan of the Earthquaker Devices Monarch. It's discontinued, but you can still find them NIB or used online.

The Way Huge Green Rhino is also one of my favorites.

If you like the Darkglass sound, you can't go wrong with a B7K/B3K. You might prefer having the extra EQ of the B7K.

BasementWarrior and gregmon79 like this.
  7. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Alt rocker here, whose played the majority of the pedals you are looking into.

Of those, I would personally back up the SFT V2 and the Distortron. Played with a pick, they both get very gritty but still leave a nice bottom for everything to sit around them. I would actually give the Distortron the edge over the SFT but only because I prefer the darker tones of the V1 SFT over the V2 (thought it's still a great pedal in it's own right.) The Distortron has been on my board since I purchased it almost a decade ago. Every other drive gets compared to it and I always come back to it for doing the job of grit with a slight grind that is forward but still full.

It depends on how much grit you want, but from experience, I would discount the Beta (it's not where that pedal's strong suit is, IMO) and the Suppa Phat Phuk (I found clips to be misleading on the original Phat Phuk B from my experience with it.) I used to own the Agro and parted ways fairly fast with it. Like @monsterthompson, I found the bottom to drop out too much. VMT didn't click with me, the Distortron did a better version of some of it's tones for my money.

8. XXL

XXL Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Question: A good bass overdrive for fitting in the live mix and has some grit to it?

Answer: Dunwich Olde Dirty Bass!

9. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    They are all good suggestions

Also try a Free the Tone Bass Blaster or a triton labs Fet Bass Overdrive.

The Triton can get much more aggressive than the Bass Blaster if necessary

Adienn7 likes this.
  10. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    From the list that you've placed, I think you can rule out 2 pedals: the Suppa Phat Phuk and the TC Spark. Both can be really great low OD pedals, to fatten up your sound or to add a bit of grit, but won't give you that agressiveness you're looking for.

I think you can get closer to that sound with a RAT variant like the Blower Box, the Cat Tail or the Dunwich Volthrower.

Also the OCD based pedals could get you that tone, like the Dunwich ODB, the Bedlham Drive, the Fuzzrocious Demon.

Other pedals that could work great are the Ss/Bs Mini OD or the Big Game Solace State.

Impermanence, rratajski and gregmon79 like this.
  11. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Check out the Dunwich ODB, Fuzzrocious Rat/Cat Tail, Big Game Bedlam and maybe a Fulltone OCD. Also a Way Huge Pork Loin (modded) is awesome for cutting through. All 5 of these will help you successfully poke through all day and night! ;)

rratajski and monsterthompson like this.
  12. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Henretta Choad Blaster.

Lots of control options on this one... wide variety of different grit, dirt, OD and fuzz tones.

13. HazeGray

HazeGray

May 30, 2017
    Maryland
    Creation Audio Labs Grizzly or Holy Fire.

gfen, freedomryder, PWV and 2 others like this.
  14. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist Bassist for Michael "Epic Mic" Rowe

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The Idiotbox Blower Box at low gain does an amazing OD sound. It leaves a lot of meat with my P-bass and actually helps me cut more in a distorted guitar environment. This is also coming from a guy playing this through a GK 700RB-II, mind you lol

guitarflinger, Nunovsky and jaydnt like this.
  15. bass40hz

bass40hz Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements but would love a few ;-)
    I've got a Darkglass B3K, it can be super crunchy, aggressive, dirty, whatever you need it to be, if its good enough for Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse, it should be good enough period!
    Its actually way more aggressive than I prefer, I am a Sansamp kind of guy.
    If you decide you want a B3K, then PM me and we can work it out.

jaydnt likes this.
  16. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    Microtubes
    Way Huge Porkloin
    Source Audio Aftershock,

I have been through this exact search and these are the ones I have come up with that allow the bass frequencies to remain intact, provide a nice drive that is not overly woody or shrill, and all have a decent degree of flexibility.

jaydnt likes this.
  17. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    +1 to the Grizzly.

I'll also throw in one that gets very little mention: Greedtone Overdrive. As much as I try other ODs, I keep coming back to it. It's more than just a Red Llama/Polish Love/etc. It has this gnarly drive in the mids that sounds great and really cuts through. FWIW, the Empress MultiDrive's OD channel has a very similar voicing to the Greedtone OD, and has fuzz and distortion as well. So there's three for you :)

freedomryder and jaydnt like this.
  18. I love my Darkglass Bk3. I keep mine on probably 60% of the time. Looking to add the new Alpha/Omega when it hits as well.

jaydnt likes this.
  19. ThrewSilver

ThrewSilver

Apr 11, 2017
    Couple of suggestions:

-Darkglass B3k/B7k
    -Bearfoot FX Model G
    -Zvex Basstortion

I personally think that the Beta and Phat Phuck are kind of the opposite of what you describe as wanting. If you like the "Ampeg" thing then the SFT V2 would probably be an awesome choice (along with the Basstortion).

20. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    From what I've read, the Basstortion was kind of turd.
    Not a lot of people ended up keeping it/singing its praise.

jaydnt likes this.