Need help choosing an amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yoofo, Oct 12, 2021 at 1:59 PM.

1. yoofo

yoofo

Oct 4, 2021
    The Peavey Viper I have is starting to fall apart, and I want an amp I can do everything with from slap to doom metal. I also want to have enough power to gig if I ever need to.

Now the thing that I'm unsure about: I want a solid state amp that doesn't color your tone much. I use pedals mainly. I've looked at the Peavey Max series from the early 2000's as a safe bet but I also play guitar too.

any suggestions for a solid state amp that won't color my tone? preferably cheap

2. madasahatter

madasahatter

May 28, 2013
    Not cheap, but an Axe FX III would cover everything you want to do plus replace your pedals.

3. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra.

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Look into the Peavey MiniMax. Seems pretty cool. Or the Hartke LX5500 looks cool, too.

4. yoofo

yoofo

Oct 4, 2021
    yeah they do look cool but I'm worried about the Hartke's Preamp tube crapping out on me, I won't budge from the "solid state" camp

5. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Why would a preamp tube crap out on you? They can last decades and are easily replaced.

shoot-r likes this.
  6. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

+1!!!!!

I've owned and gigged several amp heads (Hartke LH1000, and two, "VERY" heavily gigged Mesa M-6 Carbines) over the years that had a tube in their preamp, never had to service "any" preamp tube.

Now the all tube Sunn 200S I had way back when was a tube eating/money burning machine!

7. yoofo

yoofo

Oct 4, 2021
    well I've had gear that just up and died before, so I'm a bit worried. Anything with tubes turns me off for some reason.
    If it's nothing to worry about then I might consider the Hartke. Any other suggestions? I know getting a Portaflex wouldn't achieve what I want but I'm looking at those too.

I like getting my main sound from Pedals which is why I'm asking for a character-less amp.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 9:33 AM
  8. yoofo

yoofo

Oct 4, 2021
    What about a Hartke HA amp?

9. 6thplanet

6thplanet Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2019
    Indiana
    Great amps. I've had my 7000 since 97. Gigged the crap outta it, still rocking. Had to fix the biamp switch. I swapped the preamp tube a few years ago to see if it'd make any difference, it didn't, was nothing wrong with the stock one. Also have a 2500 for basement jamming.

10. yoofo

yoofo

Oct 4, 2021
    How do they take pedals?

11. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Wouldn't plugging your pedals into the effects return eliminate any coloration by the amp? Opens up a lot of choices for the amp itself. Cheap? How much do you want to lift? Old Peavey head, pedals into effects return, cheap and loud as God's trombone.

12. yoofo

yoofo

Oct 4, 2021
    I have been considering peavey, I love their stuff and I've been looking at the Mark IV, Mark III, and old PA heads but as I said I've had gear crap out on me before. I know the general consensus is that peaveys are nuke-proof but I'm still a bit paranoid.
    If I find a good deal on a Max 700/400 or Mark IV I'll shoot for it.

13. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Currently I'm playing through a 1981 vintage Combo 300. Still haven't had an issue with it. You can look at Yorkville "the Canadian Peavey" for bullet-proof workhorse amps on the cheap side.

14. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    The Vypyr is first and foremost a guitar combo amp with modeling capabilities that they claim supports bass as well. I don't think this should be your yardstick for actual bass amplification. An amp that does bass and guitar equally well is extremely rare, especially if you're going for grindy tones. I'd keep the two separate.

Most gear (especially Peavey) is quite solid. This may be an opportunity to reassess how you use your gear, and your expectations from it.

15. Col Pruse

Col Pruse Supporting Member

May 28, 2003
    Savannah, GA
    Do you have a speaker cabinet or looking for a combo?

I would suggest Quilter BB800. Doesn't color your tone and takes pedals well. Will also get stupid load if needed.

16. 6thplanet

6thplanet Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2019
    Indiana
    Right in it's jack hole?

17. yoofo

yoofo

Oct 4, 2021
    yeah my gear sucks but it's all I've got right now which is why I'm asking for suggestions. I think the Hartke LX may be the winner here unless I find a Mark IV for a good price.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021