1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help deciding on a new amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sporkling, May 16, 2011.

1. Sporkling

Sporkling

Mar 3, 2009
    Hi guys,

This is pretty much my first post on talkbass, and I need a bit of help. Ive recently got a bit tired of my old amp, a marshall MB150, So im going to buy a new one.

Im looking to spend around about 1000 euro, i can go a little higher. I need a gig worthy amp that can cope with a fairly loud drummer and one guitarist with a 40 watt valve combo. Ill be playing a variety of styles, from rock and metal to jazz and funk so Id like something versatile. I would prefer a modern tone, with strong definition and punch, if that means anything to you guys.

So far Ive been looking at the gallien krueger 700rbii and the neo 410. Would this suit my needs? Any other reccomendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help,

Luke

2. Rebelmission84

Rebelmission84

Mar 14, 2011
    Hawaii
    Get a shuttle 9.0

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'd agree that a modern tone with definition and punch would fit the Genz-Benz line. The Shuttle 6.0 or 9.0 would be a natural; I haven't priced the new G-B Streamliners but if affordable, I suspect they'd be well worth looking at.

If the guitarist is using a 40W combo, I think the Shuttle 6.0 would be plenty of amp to meet your needs.

4. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    My guitar buddy uses a Traynor Custom Valve 40 and I jammed with him many times with my GB Shuttle 6.0 and an Avatar B410 NEO 4 ohm and had no issues. I wish I still owned both of them. The B410 and the Shuttle is a good combo.

5. Sporkling

Sporkling

Mar 3, 2009
    Cheers,

how do the Genz Benz and the Gallien Krueger compare?
    And what cabinet would you reccomend to go with the Genz Benz if I bought it?

6. spackle

spackle

May 13, 2011
    Might also want to check out Markbass & see if the sound suits you. LMIII head + 104HR 4x10 might be in your shopping range. Borrowed a buddies CMD115 for a month and was impressed with the tone & punch that little combo put out.

7. Sporkling

Sporkling

Mar 3, 2009
  8. Sporkling

Sporkling

Mar 3, 2009
    Bump, sorry to double post but Im still absolutely clueless on what to buy, because i cant try any of these amps around here