Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help finding a cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by inazone, Feb 20, 2004.

1. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Im looking for a cab for my dad. He plays a beatle bass copy into a crate bxh220 head (220 watts @ 4ohms and I think about 150 watts @ 8ohms) and crate 115 cab. He also has an old fender bassman 50 tube amp. Heres the deal, he is 72 yrs old, had two back surgerys and the 115 is 74 lbs. He was going to buy another cab just like his and leave one at church but he will still have to move the cab at home to play in other bands. With his current rig his tone is just like if he was playing DB. He plays church, bleugrass and old school country with no PA support and plays outside a fair amount. He only wants to spend $300. I found him a bergantino 112 and its just not going to cut it for his tone with low power. Any ideas on what I should look at? It must be lt weight used is ok too. Thanks.

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    How about a pair of Avatar 112s? It'll be a bit more than 300, but it'll be worth it!

By the way, the bassman 50 is a sweet sweet amp! I've got the 135 version, and it kicks major ass! Make sure you inherit his (hopefully which won't be for a very long time).

3. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    As it's said around these parts best bang for the buck :bassist:

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    How about a Flite cabinet? They're very light and I've read that they sound quite good.

www.flitesound.com

New ones are a bit beyond his budget, but you can always look for a nice used one. A 1x15 with 4 in. midrange weighs just 28 lbs. and they make a 1x15 that would be smaller and lighter.

5. Give your Pop the NV610 !!!! :bassist:

To bad your so far, my Boogie 1x15 is pretty light with great casters rated 400w and plenty loud. It would cost a fortune to ship though.
    I would take $300.00 but the shipping would polly be around 80-100 bucks..... It like new though.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The boogie probably weighs about 55 - 60 lbs as my EV TL606 with EVM 15 does and it's essentially the same cabinet.

I too have a lousy back and my doctor has told me to limit lifting to 50 lbs...that's hard to do...

There are a couple Flite cabinets on www.bassgear.com right now, but no 1x15s.

7. How about a SWR Workingman's 1x15T? Good tone, and light at 45 lbs.