Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help for bassist project

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jebthebassist, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    I'm going to give a presentation in my music class about the pregression of bass through the years. I want to start with the hardcore basics of bass and whoever started that (I assume it began with a double bass with some jazz/blues feel?) then I would like to bring it up to modern times. I need help with who to mention. I just need names. I already have some good names for the modern players... victor wooten, steve bailey, jaco, stanley clarke, and some others. I just need help getting names over the whole time span of bass. Also my presentation will be 15 min long ;) thanks

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Bass actually began with a double bass and some baroque/classical feel. If you want to leave that part out, start with Willie Dixon, Slam Stewart, Jimmy Blanton, those guys.

3. too many names! man, I could go on for hours! I think there are a few "history of bass" sites around the internet. I wrote a piece about the evolution of the ERB, but that's pretty specific. wow... this is going to be fun to think about!

if you're going to talk about popular music and when it turned around for the public, you're going to want to mention cats like James Jamerson and Carol Kaye.

from the lows,

Stew

4. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    thanks guys! That helped me a lot. I'll be able to get the ball rolling with some of those names!

5. best of luck and keep us up on your progress!

from the lows,

Stew

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    15 minutes?
    I had a 5-10 minute thing for 'speech class'...I picked "The Bass' Evolution in 20th Century Pop Music".
    IIRC, I actually began with the tuba in early Jazz & ended with the bass synth(my class was about 20 years ago. Man!).
    ;)