1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help getting tru oil in california

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Attackofmike, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Hi guys!
    So I am having a problem getting tru oil shipped to me from amazon and the like since, apparantly, Birchwood Casey isn't allowed to send any tru oil into California :spit:.
    Do any of you fellow californians know how to obtain some of that elusive tru oil? I have a Warmoth neck here that needs to be finished... :D
    Thanks!

2. gravesbass

gravesbass Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Endorsing Artist: MesaBoogie-SpectorBass-Dunlop-EMG Pickups-Darkglass-Hipshot
    Private message me.

3. PM sent! :)

4. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    I haven't checked in a while, but last I knew Tru-Oil was available in any store that sells sporting goods and shooting supplies, like Big 5, K-Mart, WalMart, etc. It's in the gun section.

5. kvnjcbsn93

kvnjcbsn93

May 21, 2011
    Sacramento, CA
    Woodcraft carries the really big containers and Big 5 has small bottles that should be good for a few necks that costs about $5.

6. I thought it wouldn't be available in stores :eek:. Thanks guys! I'll go check out Big 5 asap

7. Okay so the local Big 5 doesn't have it and they said they haven't had it in over a year :(. I'm going to visit a gun shop tomorrow to see if they have any

8. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Turner's Outdoorsman definitely has it.

9. Do you know if the Fountain Valley or Orange locations have it?

10. Bruce Johnson

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    It may be harder to find Tru-Oil these days because of lack of interest in wood-stocked guns. So many rifles and shotguns have synthetic (plastic) stocks now, even fairly high-end ones. I have a nice Remington 700 and I ordered it with the synthetic stock. I like it. It's zero maintenance and nearly indestructible. No need to coat it with Tru-Oil every off-season.

11. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Do you wonder why there are so many cars with CA plates at stores in Las Vegas and Reno ?

Lots of suppliers can't or won't do business in California...

12. Yeah I know, it really sucks to have these regulations here :bawl:. I checked Turner's and another gun shop and neither of them have it although they do carry other birchwood-casey products. My only hope is gravesbass now.

13. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I've purchased it for fellow TBer's at Bass Pro Shoppes (how appropriate!) and shipped. PM me if I can be of service.

Riis
    Virginia Beach

14. Thanks for the offer zoober but I don't want you to go through the trouble of having to go buy and ship it haha. I'm a minor :rolleyes: anyways, so it could be problematic for me to repay you. If I needed to get it from out of the state, I'll just ask a family member to bring it when they visit. But thanks anyways dude!

I'm hoping gravesbass lives in socal so I can just pick it up from him and not bother anyone more than I need to. :)

15. gravesbass

gravesbass Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Endorsing Artist: MesaBoogie-SpectorBass-Dunlop-EMG Pickups-Darkglass-Hipshot
    pm'd you again.....

16. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    It likely contains some compound known to cause cancer in the state of California. I wouldn't use that stuff if I lived out there.

17. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
    I'm pretty sure LMII.com is based in CA and that's where I get Tru-Oil from.

18. excellent wording. LOL

19. Bruce Johnson

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Yeah, living in the state of California is known to cause a slow decay in the ability to think rationally. I've been here 26 years, and I can see the decline. And I used to buy and use Tru-Oil back in the 1990's. So, there you go.