Need Help on Tapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Mar 24, 2004.

1. :hyper: Hi-

First of all I got this technique book for my bass a month ago, and I just now got to the tapping section. Anyway I don't get what I'm doin wrong.

It says for the first excercise to play ONLY on the D string: (all above the staff) C, Eb and then G so 10, 13, and 15 frets for u tabbers. Then you just go down chromatically so the next woult be B, D, then G.

Anyway whenever I try to play it, it just makes a metal clingy sound, unless I push really hard on the string. (By the way, the notes are in triplet eight note runs)

Got any advice besides to practice, on what would make my tapping sound more... musical?

-thx :bassist:
  2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    make sure your action is lower than what you normally would at. this will make it easier. Also if you dont fret the note completely you will get metallic ping.
  4. When you tap, try making sure you angle your attack so it goes into the base of the fret-wire, so you push down at the base of the fret-wire, towards the body. This'll ensure you get a nicer tone as you'll be fully fretting the string and not just poking it down.