need help (wiring problem)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shadowguitarist, Oct 18, 2005.

1. shadowguitarist

Oct 17, 2005
    hey everyone have an older p bass (not fender). and i bought a basslines quarter pounder p bass pickup. Every time i try to wire it i get the nasty hum i think its not grounded right or something. Can someone give me some pointers maybe a place where i can find really detailed instructions on how to doit????? thatd be awsome thanks!!!
  2. shadowguitarist

Oct 17, 2005
    i tried using that and that thing confuses me even more! lol, its different then the one they actualy pack with the pu its self, when i mean detailed i mean DETAILED lol. on that one it shows points where it needs to be grounded i dont know where those points are supposed to be soddered too? alot of confusion..... :(
  3. jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    It is confusing that the wiring diagram on Duncan's website doesn't match what's on the little schematic they send with the pickup or what's shown on Fenders website. Fortunately, either way will work just fine.

What the schematic ususally doesn't show is the proper grounding and hooking up of the bridge ground.

Here's a photo of it done the Duncan website way ..

1. Run wire from center lug of volume pot to tip lug (hot) of output jack.

2.) Run wire from back of tone pot to sleeve (ground) lug of output jack

3.) Connect bridge ground to back of tone pot

4.) If not using foil shielding also run wire from back of volume pot to back of tone pot. This will directly tie the back of the pots and bridge to ground.

5. Wire pickup ground (black) to back of either pot.

6. Wire pickup hot (white) to inner volume pot lug as shown.

7. Run wire from inner volume lug to inner lug on tone control

8.) Bend outer lug of volume control over and solder to the back of the pot to form a ground connection. Also solder one end of capacitor here to ground. Use a heat sink (I use small hemostats) to protect capacitor from overheating)

9.) Solder other end of capacitor to center lug of tone control.

10. Check all grounds and connection with a meter to make sure you have continuity.

4. shadowguitarist

Oct 17, 2005
    thanks man what the hell is that big orange thing though?? i dont got one of them
  5. shadowguitarist

Oct 17, 2005
    ok i know what it is but is it a necessity??
  6. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    It's a capacitor. Yours might look different (perhaps a small disc?) but if you want your tone knob to work, you absolutely need one.
  7. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I wired my Duncan in with the diagram and its is as easy as you show. Black ground to back of volume pot (ground) and white (hot lead) to volume pot lug. Took about 5 minutes to do.
  8. jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    That's a Sprague Orange Drop capacitor. It's a better quality capacitor than the small ceramic disk type typically supplied with lower end basses. It gives a little more linear response to your tone roll off. If you are in there doing wiring anyway this might be a worthwhile $1.00 upgrade.
  9. shadowguitarist

Oct 17, 2005
    cool where can i buy these?? local hardware store???