Need help with 1966 P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Maher, Mar 1, 2024.

1. Mike Maher

Mike Maher

Jul 26, 2023
    Kansas City
    I just scored a 1966 p-bass its a little rough but.... does anyone know what colors were put on the basses that year , mine seems to be a natural finish and a white pickguard. 429809304_424089273524543_3303987615345937773_n.jpg

2. jimmydean

jimmydean

Mar 14, 2009
    You can get all the info online at Fender......nice bass !

bassdude51 and DJ Bebop like this.
  3. Mike Maher

Mike Maher

Jul 26, 2023
    Kansas City
    thank you

4. Mike Maher

Mike Maher

Jul 26, 2023
    Kansas City
    would this be the original finish

5. Sunburst finishes were the most common, I suspect this was refinished, probably years ago by the looks of it. Very common in the 70's to strip off finishes for that natural look. It was a hippie thing.

bobyoung53, AGCurry, kentiki and 10 others like this.
  6. Mike Maher

Mike Maher

Jul 26, 2023
    Kansas City
    so theres no way to find out the original color

DJ Bebop and Smooth_bass88 like this.
  7. Assuming it's otherwise original, you may just want to leave it stripped and rock that thing. A proper professional refinish is pretty pricey. If it's structurally sound, if it were me I'd just play and enjoy it.

8. Mike Maher

Mike Maher

Jul 26, 2023
    Kansas City
    i kinda like the worn relic look myself im cleaning it a little now i just got home with it a couple hours ago, i had to drive 9 hours round trip to get it !

9. blr2

blr2

Apr 21, 2010
    Sofia, EU
    Fender didn't offer natural finish back then. The bass started it's life most probably as a 3-color sunburst and was refinished quite some time ago. It looks nice as it is, I'd leave it like that, possibly replacing the pickguard with a period correct tort.

10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Look under the pick guard to see if there are remnants of other color.

11. You can check in the neck pocket or cavity to see if any original color is still there, but barring that your best guess would be sunburst.

12. Mike Maher

Mike Maher

Jul 26, 2023
    Kansas City
    cool , but im not sure tort would look good , so that pickguard isnt original?

13. Mike Maher

Mike Maher

Jul 26, 2023
    Kansas City
    i did and its black so yes it probably was a sunburst

Mastermold likes this.
  14. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    That’s not the original finish or pickguard.
    In ‘66 the vast majority were sunburst with a tortoiseshell pickguard, which was the standard color scheme. Custom colors were most often black, white, candy apple red. Custom colors came with a white pickguard, but your pickguard isn’t original to that bass and it’s likely not a Fender guard. It looks like a single ply and has thumb rest holes.

If you take the neck off, you may find traces of original finish.

BrentD, okabass, digmeout and 2 others like this.
  15. blr2

blr2

Apr 21, 2010
    Sofia, EU
    It could be original, I don't remember if white was offered in 1966, but it could have been replaced later on.
    Tort looks good on everything :)

PennyroyalWe and bill81255 like this.
  16. If you wanted to keep that white pickguard, a solid color would look good, assuming you don't just leave it natural.

17. Mike Maher

Mike Maher

Jul 26, 2023
    Kansas City
  18. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Crap! Really? Thought it was just me.

19. Mike Maher

Mike Maher

Jul 26, 2023
    Kansas City
    IMG_1602.jpg

20. blr2

blr2

Apr 21, 2010
    Sofia, EU
    You may want to replace the pickguard, just because it is broken, and not original anyway. IMO a vintage tort would look killer on this body.