1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help with amp set up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by domgreg, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Dear bass community,

I'm a new subscriber and if you find my writing weird, it might be related with the fact that I'm a french canadian from Quebec.

I want to clear something in my head but let me first introduce the subject with a short long story.

After searching on TB for a good and small single 15 cab, I think I really got a kick for the Bag End S15, especially the oiled birch one and particularly a pair of it. Not that I know them, it's barely unfindable in Canada and I never saw a singular musician playing in those cabs over here. Although, I did read A LOT of reviews and I'm pretty sure that it's exactly what I'm looking for - compact, powerful, colorful and even pretty! By the way, I'd be really glad to find a pair of used ones if somebody know somebody¬Ö

Anyway, I finally found a pro audio dealer that could order the product but first, I want to make sure that I can safely use my current amp with it; an old Eden WT-600. As the S15 are rated at 8ohms and 200W, I know that I would have to be REALLY careful if I plug it in my bridge 8ohms 600W output. Otherwise, if I daisy chain two S15s, I end up with a 4 ohms load and can't use my bridge output anymore. BUT in Bi-Amp mode (300W, 4ohms/channel), and here's my question, can I use with good results each 8ohms cab hooked up on each 4ohms channels or it would be a bad idea? Of course, no crossover, just dual mono. I know, I will lose some of the power that my amp can deliver but how much exactly? It looks to me like it's the only way to use that WT-600. I read in a review that some guy was proudly using two S15Ds with a WT-800 and I really wondered how he was doing this safely¬Ö

So, with two BE S15s can I give the WT-600 an other life or should I put it on a dusty shelf with a blanket?

Thank you all for sharing your expertise!

2. You can only use both cabs in dual mono (never bridge with two 8 ohm cabs). You will have 190 watts per side at 8 ohms which will match well to your cabs. Total amp power will be 380 watts which is plenty into two 15" speakers.

3. Thanks B-string,

Do you think it can make my amp overheat, affect the tone or other undesirable effects?

4. If you run in dual mono it will be running cooler with two 8 ohm cabs than it would with two 4 ohm cabs. The lower the number in ohms the greater the strain (load) on the amplifier. Tone should be the same. I think you will like it!