1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Help with Mogami Cables!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by beast326, Mar 16, 2013.

1. beast326

beast326

May 7, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    This whole rack thing is very new to me. Normally I've used a pedal tuner but now I've finally gotten a Racktuner (Specifically...a Rocktron Versatune). Prior to having a racktuner or basically a RACK anything I used a pedal. 20' ft monster cable in and then another 20' ft out to the amp. Now I'm confused as to whether I use 3ft instrument cables or 3' ft patch cables. I m using MOGAMI cables vs. Monster. I heard many positive thins about them regarding clarity and noise reduction. Can somebody help????

Guess you can teach an OLD DOG NEW TRICKS!!!
    Thanks Fellow Bottom Enders

:bassist:

2. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    There's really no difference.

3. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Just use a short cable to go out of the tuner into your amp. Either one will be fine. You're getting caught up in the cable hype and you don't need to.

4. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    Build your own. You can learn to solder in an afternoon and it will give you a lifetime of savings. A patch cable using Mogami and cable and Neutrik ends from Redco.com will be very cheap and once you get your technique down, you end up with a better cable than you can buy for way less. I've been doing this for a long time and I can't remember the last cable failure I've had. It was definitely in the previous century and my gear goes to lots of gigs (and includes a whole stage full of mic cables and splitter for my in ears.). If I can do this, you can too.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Use short cables whenever possible, when you only need to go a short distance. Long cables are for longer distances, duh, but the longer the cable, the more it may darken your tone and pick up noise and hum (depending on many factors). Use your 20' to go from bass to rack, and very short cables for the rest.

"Patch" cables are just short cables. Patch just means short, in this context.

Monster is mostly bogus hype, but like the other guy said--don't worry about brands, most of it is hype that you do not need to bother about. Use any decently-made cable.

6. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    ^^^ What he said. Bongo knows more about cables than anyone else on this forum. Mogami are great cables, you'll be very happy with them. Use the shortest cables you can, for everything, use high quality cables, and you'll never go wrong - oh, but stay away from Monster. They use non-standard ends, and will ruin your jacks.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I agree with Bongo, but I will say many cables that people consider "Decently built", are not built all that decently. All my cables are Mogami Gold, 4 or 5 years old and have never given me a single problem. The new US made Planet Waves cables have sparked my interest, but I haven't tried them. To me, Mogami Golds were well worth it. The piece of mind they have given me for years now has made it one less thing I ever have to worry about going wrong on a gig.

FWIW, Monster no longer uses enlarged jacks. I still wouldn't own one though.

8. beast326

beast326

May 7, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks guys!!!! I knew I could count on you.

9. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS