1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help with the truss rod adjustment

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rocknroll777, Mar 25, 2013.

1. rocknroll777

rocknroll777

Nov 21, 2011
    I have a SX jazz copy, and I'ts time to set it up again. My problem is that I don't have any measurement tools for the neck relief.......so people please help me do it without the right tools:)
    What can I use to set it up right?

2. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Any ruler with fine divisions should do the trick. Helps if the 0 is at the start rather than inset a bit

3. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Someone just posted this in a thread I had started. Maybe it might be of some help to you;

"And BTW, you do not need a capo to check neck relief. Simply fret low F on the E string normally, and then use your other hand thumb to fret the highest note on the E string. Then rotate your wrist and stretch your pinky back toward fret 10 on the E string. Fret the E string with your pinky and see how far you need to tap the string down. Anything more than a credit card = truss rod adjustment."

4. rocknroll777

rocknroll777

Nov 21, 2011
    Hey dude, that helped a lot........thanks man :D

5. Mikhail1

Mikhail1

Apr 8, 2008
    I used to be really anal and try to get my measurements to the nearest 1/64th or whatever but I found you don't need to be that precise. Just get it to where it doesn't buzz too much for you and play it. I honestly can't tell you what the relief is on my basses and really don't care. They play good for me and that's good enough. I used to be so specific and had to measure everything. What opened my eyes was my son having his guitar set up my a local tech and found out that it just didn't work for me. Now, this is not a bash on this particular tech, he did a good job, but a setup is such a personal thing and you really should learn to do it to suit YOUR style of playing. Don't obsess about it, just get it where it work for you and keep playing!