Need help with time sig. transition

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Oct 14, 2003.

1. I'm in concert band, and we have a piece of music that goes from 4/4 to 3/4 to 6/8 almost every other bar. Now, I'm still a little tricked up by this, even though I can fake my way through it. Any suggestions?

(A sample of the sheet music is attached. And sorry, didn't mean to make it that big)
  2. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    I can't really think of any shortcuts - I think you'll just have to pay attention and count your way through the song if needs be. If it makes it any easier, you can count the 6/8 bars as 3/4, so you'll be playing the second dotted crotchet on the 'and' of the two. I hope that's a little helpful for you.
  3. I'd say just count your way through it and practice it everyday. It will be much easier when you have it memorized, as well.
  4. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Things to remember:

- A dotted quarter is the same length as an eighth note tied to a quarter note.

- The note lengths are the same regardless of the time sig (there is even a 1/8 = 1/8 over one of the 6/8 bars to remind you of that.)

- Watch the conductor.

You'll be fine. :)