Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Help With Uncomfortable Decision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basse, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Unfortunately, I've got to come up with some cash and in order to do so it looks like I'm going to have sell a bass or two. Here are the basses under consideration for selling:

1969 Ric 4001, all original in immaculate condition
    1978 Ric 4002, all original with some finish checking
    1996 Sadowsky J w/ figured top in immaculate condition

The '69 Ric 4001 is clearly the one that is most collectable and will bring in the most money. The combination of the '78 Ric 4002 and the Sadowsky will bring in approximately the same amount of money combined as will the '69 Ric.

Here's the decision I'm not sure about making... Do I sell the most collectable '69 4001 so that I'm only out of 1 bass or do I sell the '78 4002 and the Sadowsky to keep the most collectible one but then I lose 2 basses?

If I sell the '69 4001 I keep two amazing basses, the 4002 is actually harder to find than a '60s 4001 but isn't prized as highly as the '60s 4001s and well, I have a Sadowky PJ that I like better than the J.

If I keep the 4001, I hold on to the most collectable bass with the highest value (that will probably keep rising) but I lose the VERY rare 4002 and a great Sadowsky.

HELP!!! I'd appreciate your thoughts!!!!

2. Wow, this is a tough decision.

In the end it's up to you, but since you're asking for opinions, I'd say sell the '69 Ric.

Why?

Because if I'm reading between the lines correctly, it sounds as though you really like the '78 4002, since you referred to it as Very rare. Plus I think it's better to part with one beloved instrument rather than two.

Best of luck in making your decision. :)

I know it's hard.

Mike

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Sell the Sadowsky and work at Sam's Club for a few weekends. The Sad is easily replacable. The other two you will regret.

4. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Hey man, seriously.....................

Have you thought about donating plasma instead?

Do not, ever sell the 60's Rick. I sold a '68 Gibson EBO (my 1st bass!). I still punch myself in the boys as a reminder......

Fo

5. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Do you like the 60s Rickenbacker better then the other two?It maybe worth more but if you dont use it as much as the other two id say sell the 60s rick then keep the other two. But if you absolutley love it then sell the other two.

6. a big +1 on that... plus, IMO, Roger has made improvements (hum cancelling pickups, wheel neck adjustment, etc.) that make the newer ones a little better anyway if you eventually rebuy (and you can rebuy a Metro for less cash that you will get for your 'NYC'). DON'T SELL THOSE RICS :rollno:

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a real hard time selling anything;) So take that into account!
    I did sell a 1976 Thunderbird, but it was to buy a double bass I really wanted.
    I did sell a 1974 Ric 4001, but it just wasn't my bag, and I turned it into a couple of Reverends I play all the time now.

"Grasshopper, you will know when it is time for you to leave."

8. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Keep the basses that you feel most comfortable with. Afterall, if you need money, it doesn't sound like you'll be in a position to purchase another one anytime soon.

While having a collector is nice, it's not going to be the end of the world if you sell it--especially if you get what it's worth. However, if you don't feel comfortable with your instruments, and don't have the money to buy another, it might as well be the end of the world.

If they all feel equally as comfortable, than keep the rarest one as stated above.

9. Sounds like you might have made your decision subconciously.
    "If I sell the '69 4001 I keep two amazing basses"... "Amazing" is a pretty strong word. You would also have the sound and style versitility when you play if you keep two different styles of bass to use.

"If I keep the 4001, I hold on to the most collectable bass with the highest value (that will probably keep rising) but I lose the VERY rare 4002 and a great Sadowsky" Sounds like you're VERY sold on the 4002 and your "great" Sadowsky.

Sell the 4001 for the same $$$'s as the other two and keep the ones you're raving about in your "stable" to play. :bassist:

IMHO.

10. mbulmer

mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    Sell the 4001. Basses make much better musical instruments than they do investments.

11. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    +1!

But if you do end up selling the 4002, let me know! ;)

12. I understand - but don't get me wrong... I play each and every one of these basses. The reason I've kept them is because I absolutely love to play them all!!!

That's why this decision is so hard.

13. mbulmer

mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    Then I truly empathize with your decision. :bawl: Perhaps you could take out a collateral loan on the 4001 and get it back once you're stable?

14. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    If I were in your situation(sorta been there)I would look at two things. You own these basses to play them, would you rather have one Ric or a Ric and a Sad to play, depending on the style of music your playing that could go either way. The other thing is your emotional attachment and sentimental values attached to these basses, is there any? If not then it's just a business decision. If there is any sentimental value attached to any of these basses then you need to make those considerations. The 69 is clearly the most "collectable", but if you got it in say, 1990, then in the overall scope of things you really haven't had it very long, If you got the Sad new in 1996, then that bass is getting ready to be 10 years old, and you've had it since new, that's a bit special, IMO, and I would want to keep that "relationship" going.
    Good Luck, and I feel for your situation. I wish now that I would've made a few more phone calls back when I had to sell a bass. I could still go out and but another, but it wouldn't be the same.
    One last bit of advise:
    Try to sell your bass(es) to someone that you know and respect. Make a verbal contract that he or she cannot ever sell the bass(es) without offering to sell them back to you first, if you're attached to any of them.

15. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Dump the Sadowski. Easy to replace!!

16. +1 Great idea. A little tougher to find a buyer, but worth it in the end if you can.

17. VEZ

VEZ

Aug 19, 2005
    Behind a bass guitar
    My advice for you is to keep your rics. But you should never sell a bass guitar cause it is yours. Even if it's the cheapest bass guitar in the whole world you gotta keep it. You should sell something else.

18. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    +1. You'll be able to replace the Sadowsky in the future much easier than replacing your Rics.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Best of luck in sorting things out.

- Art

19. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    DO NOT!!!!! EVER! SELL! THAT! RICK!!!!! id say keep the 69 rick and the 4002 and sell that sadowsky and sell blood and other fluids but don't EVER SELL THE RICKS!!!!!! i almost sold my 4001 but quickly thought better of it and called it off. you will NEVER replace the ricks with anything except MORE ricks...

20. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1. The Sadowsky will bring good money and is replaceable. The Rics are not, and you will regret selling them, someday.

Beg, borrow, or work extra to scrape up the cash you need to get by, or sell something else if at all possible.

Hope things work out for you. :)