1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need help

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by bassmanT, Sep 28, 2009.

1. bassmanT

bassmanT

Jan 8, 2009
    I have a l-2000 and I a playing it through a SWR workmans 12 amp. when I am playing through the amp, I love my sound. I get plenty of low end and a good overall balance. BUT, I am wanting to play through a pa system and i cannot get the full sound that I want. I don't want to lug the amp around with me, and l-2000 seem to have more high end than low. What pedals can I use to get the closest sound that my amp gives?

2. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
  3. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Make sure you're just not plugging into the board.... A DI box is a must. The BDDI is on good recommendation.... The Radial Bassbone is another.

4. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    +1

Gotta use a DI to groom the signal.

L2000's have one of the biggest bottom ends in the business (Ok, L2500's are five notes lower :p). No shortage of lows :bassist:

5. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204

6. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY

Don't you tune your lowest string to Bb?
    ;)

7. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    I have an L2500 (and had an L2000), and recently I've been foregoing the amp for many gigs and just going direct - how are you hearing your bass when you run direct? Have you gone out front and heard that sound as opposed to just what you hear on stage? Maybe your monitor needs a little EQing adjustment. I don't need much in mine, and I keep it mixed down to a good balance between the bass and the rest of the stuff on stage. My drummer is not a pounder, so it doesn't need to be very loud. I can hear definition & clarity from my monitor, and I feel the lo end from the subs.

I should add that as a "DI" I usually use the direct out from my ADA MB-1 Preamp, but I have also just gone straight from the XLR out on my wireless direct into the PA and had great results.

8. fender3x

fender3x

Mar 12, 2006
    I really like mine. I have used it directly with the PA system, and when using an amp typically run it straight into the poweramp on my head (bypassing the pre). Great little unit.

9. bassmanT

bassmanT

Jan 8, 2009
    thanks, I will see what happens.

10. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh

Right, stupid Vodka :scowl:

11. engage757

engage757 Banned

the BDDI is a great idea, and definetly run it through a DI, and you might try a BBE sonic maximizer as well. :)

good luck...

12. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    Ha! All in good jest, fine sir!

Seriously, though, I have played G&L basses direct to a PA w/o any toneshaping besides what is on the bass, using a passive DI or the out from a wireless - I cannot believe an L2XXX is lacking in any respect and "NEEDS" to be enhanced by 'another' preamp, such as a BDDI or anything. Passive mode, MAYBE need a boost of some sort, flip your switch to Active, and all you need is right on your bass.

IMHO

~ric

13. fender3x

fender3x

Mar 12, 2006
    It's not that the bass is lacking. The BDDI gives you balanced output that you need for the PA.

The nice thing about the BDDI is that you can also add some dirt. You get a bit of tube-like dirt. If you want, you can add so overdrive. I you can also use the tone controls to scoop or punch up the midrange. It's a very versatile device. Best money I have spent on an accessory.

14. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    Yeah, I don't know where I got six (def been drinkin too much on my days off). Never owned a fiver but I'm gassin for one big time.

Imo, the issue is more that PA's are not optimized for bass guitar and depending on the setup a DI would allow you to compensate for anything.

Definitely agree that L series are not lacking in any way no matter what they are run into. I love this bass!

15. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    Nothing against the Sansamp - any version of it, or any pre-amp like it, but besides the dirt factor, an active bass into a simple DI is plenty to get the sound of the bass across to a PA - and especially a G&L Bass.

I owned a BDDI for a while, and it was awesome, but I've also run a bass through a Rolls DI (about $25) and it's done the job sufficiently.

Of course, ANY preamp will add more options, but if he (the OP) just wants to get the sound of his bass to the PA (without any extra frills) he doesn't NEED a $100 + pedal/preamp.

~ric

16. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    For sure, I def don't disagree. Seems that the OP was having trouble getting a specific PA system to sound good. YMMV. A good DI would give lots of tone sculpting options. Course' so would a good soundman as it applies to a PA ;)

17. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    Honestly, if a G&L L2000 wasn't giving out enough bass to a PA, the problem is either in the PA or the bass, and a pre w/more bass is not the answer.