1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need ideas for this headstock

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Mar 27, 2015.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    It's an SX p-bass that a friend of mine de-fretted and stripped down. In the process the SX logo was removed. I am fine with that, but I don't like it now being just plain. Any ideas on what to add or do with it? I don't want fender stickers.

Attached Files:

2. ScarfFace

ScarfFace Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2014
    La Crosse WI
    You could just design your own logo. VKV (like your screen name)? You could paint it a solid color. You could use a woodburning tool to write something on it.
    I'd also recommend restringing the bass correctly. There ends of the strings should go straight down into the tuning pegs and then bend over onto the post. There shouldn't be anything sticking out.

PortlandBass77, bholder and Lownote38 like this.
  3. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I typically string it the way you describe. I had it setup yesterday and that's the way it was returned to me.

ScarfFace likes this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Yeah, get a cheap waterslide logo with as low key or over-the-top awesome as you want. "VivaKnoxVegas" might fit. ;)

5. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    Put a picture of your big toe on it.

bolophonic and TheCrimsonKing like this.
  6. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    This surely comes as no surprise, though, does it? :roflmao:

If it's fretless, perhaps using the fenderish "spaghetti" logo font: "Imprecision"?

7. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Setup where?

I would put a cartoon sticker on there. Mickey or the Angry monkey from Chris Griffin's closet.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    vivaknoxvegas and SasquatchDude like this.
  8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I love the look of blank Fenderish headstocks. It's so sneaky. Did he make it himself? Is it mighty-mite? What is it? I don't know. It's a mystery.

9. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I did the same thing many years ago, including stripping the entire body. I stained the headstock the same as the body. Never bothered with the logo (didn't even think to save it).
    That SX does look a little sparse. Perhaps the string tree (?) pulling the G over, creating additional empty space, or that it's not finished, making it look like a piece of unfinished furniture.

Pbasshead.

vivaknoxvegas likes this.
  10. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    I was thinking pinstripes would look cool.

And if you use pinstripe tape, you could change it when you get tired of it.

11. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Ok I figured out what to do.

Attached Files:

12. Definitely put "Fodera" in Fender script

PortlandBass77 likes this.
  13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I think it looks fine the way it is now.

vivaknoxvegas and bholder like this.
  14. Jigsawjaybus

Jigsawjaybus

Feb 17, 2015
    Muskegon Michigan
    I'm just here to drool over other peoples stuff.
    Mike Kunka from Godheadsilo used a Mustang and he'd went over the original logo with a decal of a revolver...always thought that looked neat. I have a 64 fender jazz neck I've had redone recently and whatever knuckle head had it before sanded the headstock (as well as pulled the frets out and gunked epoxy all over the board-sound familiar?) I'm debating leaving it blank but it just doesn't look right to me.

15. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I built my own bass from parts. I spent a little quality time with Photoshop (you can use whatever software you want), a dollar or two worth of waterslide decal paper though my regular inkjet printer at home, a couple of passes on the decal paper (after printing, but before applying to headstock) with a can of Krylon Crystal Clear acrylic, and a few minutes putting it on, gave me this:

20131231_101228_RichtoneHDR.

My racebike number for many years was 666, so some of my friends started calling me El Diablo (I'm sure that has no relation to my personality!). I also play drums. Thus, the crossed drumsticks in the logo.

DIY! It's easy!

16. Get some headstock ideas from a tatoo parlor.

MegaSwing likes this.
  17. My $0.02. Paint the headstock in a colour that does NOT match the body and invent your own logo.

I did this recently when I assembled my 25.5" mini bass, dubbed the Funkier Turkeybasster.

Attached Files:

18. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    There are also all sorts of patterns and stencils and even generators available online for all sorts of thinks - lacework, floral, celtic knots, damask, hot rod flames, paisleys, you name it. Everyone from "craft store hobby" types to hotrod car / bike painters have their own versions, basically. :)

19. No bass looks good, unless it says "SPOCK'S BRAIN" in block letters on the headstock...

Malak the Mad, MattZilla and bholder like this.
  20. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Ohhhhhhkaaaaaay, then.... (steps back slowly) :whistle:

Short-scale likes this.