1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need ideas please :)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Smallequestrian, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    So, I have this pedaltrain mini. It's pretty cool. However, I am not satisfied with the fuzz (too aggressive) and have little use for the Micro Pog. I do not have to get rid of either, but wouldn't mind if I had something a bit more useful for me. The Valcoder could be sold too, but I see use for that. My band is rather straight ahead rock, so I am not sure if there is anything I really am lacking, but I am open to suggestions.

I find myself using the flipster (the crazy coloured one) for most of my general dirt needs and the heliotrope to do some things I would use a fuzz for and other loud noises (I just find it works better than the messdrive for my tastes). So if you had the potential space open that I could have, what might you suggest?

For reference:
    P1000187.

2. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    If the Messdrive is too aggressive for you then you'll want to stay away from fuzz and distortion pedals.

Also, what kind of music are you playing/do you like?

3. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    I agree w/ rcubed.
    If you want any kind of dirt on your clean, you might want something on the 'subtle' side, for better lack of a term, like an OD.

4. Smallequestrian

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I might be using the wrong term...its not that its too aggressive, I just don't think that particular fuzz tone is the one I need, something a little more subtle. I should probably spend some more time at bassfuzz.

You can hear some of our songs that we just recorded on our myspace site. www.myspace.com/thevindits The second song is an example of a song that I would have use for a fuzz on. The bass is double tracked on that song with a clean signal and a mic'd Orange Tiny Terror through 1x12 guitar cabinet. I actually recorded with a Bass Big Muff originally, but the engineer wasn't thrilled with the tone and I didn't play with the settings enough to try to find a better tone.

5. I personally would need either a chorus or a flanger on the board (or both :)). But, that's just me and not everyone is into that.

6. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    Fuzz is not subtle, not even the subtlest fuzz. ;) Anyway, look for overdrives, perhaps with tubes in them.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, like an EBS Valve Drive. Organic, warm, and the crunch is highly variable. +1 for some modulation.

8. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    not necessarily. I re-bought a red messdrive recently and was disappointed by the fact that it is SUPER HOT, with unity at maybe 8 o'clock. The OP should try a bass big muff, it can do agressive but has way more useable "vintage" settings than the messdrive

to the OP: I suggest investing twelve bucks or so in pancake-headed patch cables, you should be able to squeeze one more pedal in there.

9. Smallequestrian

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Well, thought I would follow up here. Had some spare time today and a 15% off coupon for GC.

I had wanted to test the Way Huge Pork Loin and Swollen Pickle. I loved both of them. Even without tweaking the internal settings I thought they both sounded great with bass.

I know you guys said fuzz pedals aren't for subtle, but I thought the Swollen Pickle did a good job at it, and I really dug the more aggressive settings as well. I think it offered exactly what I was looking for so I brought home. It seems to have recieved mixed reviews around here, but I thought it was great.

The Pork Loin was also great, I might look to procure one of those at some point as well.

10. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    Well whatever works. The Swollen Pickle is a Big Muff clone with a change in component values in the tone stack and some other RC values along with different transistors. The schematic is the same though.

11. Smallequestrian

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I had it with me at practice yesterday. It may be a similar circuit to the Big Muff (and therefore the Bass Big Muff), but the quality of sound coming out of this thing was way better IMO then anything my Bass Big Muff produced. I've only used a few Fuzz pedals and O/D pedals so far, but this was the first one that all my bandmates looked at me after the song and gave me the thumbs up, so I'm happy :)

12. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    it sounds to me like you wanted a high gain fuzz more than a vintage fuzz. that's what the pickle excels at, way above & beyond what the BBM does ( a more vintagey, low-gain fuzz)

I disagree - at least in a mix

13. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Yep...me too...Chorus for sure...