1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need IEM help. Again.

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jun 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Been using cheap Samsons (I think) that came with the system. Was told initially that the band was going to hook me up with custom molds but I think they're pulling back on that.

Can you guys make a recommendation that will fall into the $200 - $300 range? I've got a 20% off coupon at musiciansfriend and I think I'm gonna invest. If ya gonna recommend something more expensive, please be convincing as to why they'll outdo the others. Thanks.

Right now Fender FXA2s are looking sweet to me because of their price, but I know nothing about this.

DirtDog likes this.
  2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    How did the Comply tips work out for you?

3. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
  4. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    +1000%

tbirdsp and H2okie like this.
  5. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    They work great. Better than earplugs. Thanks.

Will check them out now. Should have before responding by oh hwell...

6. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Considering them, though I'd order them at MF cuz they'll cost me $320 plus give me $25 credit towards a future purchase. This is why I love MF :).

7. monkeyland

monkeyland Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Endorsing artist: Curt Mangan Strings, JH Audio
    I'm a little biased but I would be hesitant to drop 400 on a set of universal fit when thats putting you in the ballpark of a set of customs.

8. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I don't understand how the customs work? How do you know your getting good drivers, bass frequency, etc? Can someone explain custom monitors to me, and how they range in price for ones that are great for bassists?

9. monkeyland

monkeyland Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Endorsing artist: Curt Mangan Strings, JH Audio
    That can be the tough part for sure. Disregarding sound quality for a second. My thoughts are that the comfort of customs means I'll be more inclined to wear them all the time. If you know you want to commit to ears then spending a little extra isn't as scary.

As for sound quality, I think it's about the same as universals. 2 drivers are good, 3 is better. My JH Audio JH13v2 Pros have 8 :thumbsup:. You really just need to find something that you feel comfortable with.

10. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    The UM Pro 30's are about $100 over your budget. I use UMPro 20's (well, the older version of them) and they work great. Best $275 I've spent. They are only dual driver, but they are great. I know a number of people that say unless you're sining or really want to spend money, dual drivers are plenty good.

Versatek6 likes this.
  11. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
  12. guitarflinger

guitarflinger Not all who wander are lost Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Front Range, Colorado
    I am using these plus the comply tips.
    WESTONE UM Pro 20 In-Ear Monitors
    They come in all price ranges, these are the one I have and like
    Better sound than Shures or any others I have tried.

musicman7722, Versatek6 and SteveC like this.
  13. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Most companies that make custom in-ear monitors use an array of armatures, which is the technology used in hearing aids. Armatures are tiny foil plates that vibrate... creating sound pressure waves... that generate sound. Armatures come in different sizes, based on what frequency they're trying to it. Companies like Ultimate Ears may use two, three or four armatures in a single earpiece, each covering a different part of the audio spectrum.

Other companies, like Future Sonics, use a single driver in each earpiece. The driver covers the entire spectrum.

Playing music through in-ears, the armatures I heard sounded weak to me. It just wasn't a full, rich experience.

Regardless of the technology you choose, a custom set of in-ears is going to run around $400-800.

I'm with Monkeyland -- if you're on the verge of being in the ballpark of a good set of custom in-ears, why not just step up to the plate and get something really solid? The tight, custom fit alone is worth the price.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Deak likes this.
  14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    You have to be a negotiator man!

They said they would get IEM buds for you when you signed on. Now they have backed out on the deal. You don't just give up. You compromise.

Go to them and say "OK, here's the deal. You said you would spring for some good buds when I signed on and now you won't. Fine. How about we meet in the middle? You go in half with me. You put up $450 and I'll put up $450."

Then you go get custom molds made and get these.
    64 Audio [In-Ear Monitors]

The web site is super easy to navigate so you can compare products and get the "why" in this equation.

I am about to pull the trigger and get a set myself. I had custom molds back when I played semi-pro. Loved them then and miss them now.

Rocksolid, RyanJD, JGbassman and 4 others like this.
  15. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    I have a set of 1964 Audio's Qi's (quad drivers) that don't have the ADEL (rebranded as APEX due to contract issues) tech - pressure equalization diaphragms in each ear.. and a set of A8's [which I absolutely LOVE] that DO have them !!
    I upgraded from the Qi's when the band became 1964 Artists.

Rocksolid likes this.
  16. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    FWIW, I'm using the Westone UM30's. Sound is stellar. You have to figure out which canal fitting works best for you. And, there is no ambient vent; so, they pretty much seal you off. Great phone for the coin; though I am likely to move up to 64 Audio A4's down the road a bit.

Groove Doctor and tbirdsp like this.
  17. Yup, dumped my Sure IEms for these and just love them.

tbirdsp likes this.
  18. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    As far as universals in that price range go, I haven't found any that I like the sound of as well as the Ultimate Ears Triplefi 10.

Before you buy any $200-300 universal fit IEMs, browse the web for IEM houses that do reshells and check which models are on their list. Most will turn the Triplefi 10 (along with quite a few other quality multi-driver universals) into fully custom-fit IEMs for about $125. Whatever model of universals you buy, picking a set that can be reshelled gives you options for later.

Also have a look at ebay, etc. Universal earphones that are well regarded and can be reshelled often generate a used market. Even if *you* won't consider buying used earphones (and adding pristine new tips), buying earphones that have a healthy resale can limit your risk.

Groove Doctor and HolmeBass like this.
  19. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I've been tempted to move up as all my playing is via IEM - save of occasional jazz trio/quartet gigs. I'm pretty happy with my Westone UM-2's (Pro 20's I guess now) but I haven't tried anything else - save for the single driver stuff. Not sure I need/want custom molds. I seem to get a decent seal with universals. We'll see how the new band goes. I use them at church as well - DI/silent stage there, too, so it's not like I wouldn't use them at least 4-5 times a month.

I may give these a try. I like my dual driver Westone UM-2's a lot so...
    UM PRO 50 Earphones - Universal Series

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  20. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Haha... I realized that after my last post and did almost exactly that. Can't write now but will elaborate when I get the chance. I negotiated and I'm pretty sure they're gonna pay. They were nice about too. Details to come.

Groove Doctor and kojack like this.