Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need insight on affordable 6-strings.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blademaster Dez, May 26, 2004.

1. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    Since many folks have used the wise people at Talkbass for help in choosing "this gear" or "that gear" I shall call upon them as well.

I am looking to make the jump from 5-string to 6-string. A lot of the music I'm doing lately requires me to slide on the G on the upper recesses of the fretboard a lot, and the extended range would be great- like another tool in the shed.

As for what music I play, it varies a lot. Since I teach kindergarten, I play the melodies of a lot of Disney stuff and cartoon themes. Otherwise, I play all kinds of stuff from jazz to pop to rootsy rock/ hard rock. I like to keep myself versatile. My main musical ambition is creating children's music that's more grown-up and less saccharine/annoying. So warmth with a touch of bite are my broad tonal goals.

The dilemma is that money's tight by me, so I can only feasibly sink about $700 into a new bass. So I've narrowed it down to these two:

-Stuart Spector Legend 6. Basswood body, 35" scale, EMG pickups, 5 year warranty. Advantages: Spector brand name, EMG pickups, 35" scale.

-Ibanez SR506. Mahogany body, 34" scale, Bartolini pickups, 1 year warranty. Advantages: arguably the best tonewoods of the lot, Bartolini pickups.

(I'm also semi-considering the Ibanez BTB406 and the ESP 206LTD, though the snob in me prefers brand name pickups over stock ones. Though the BTB does have a nice monorail bridge, a wider neck than Soundgears (a plus) and a Neutrik jack. The ESP is quite inexpensive and has a lifetime warranty.)

If anyone has insight into any of these basses and/or components, let me know. I'm definitely looking for something reliable with good build quality. If you want to know more about me and stuff, let me know also. If there are any other good 6-strings in that price range you can recommend to me, I'm all ears.

2. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    Spector if they are the EMG-HZ pickups

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  4. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    According to Spector's website, they are the EMG HZ's. I'm leaning most toward the Spector myself and luckily for me, the music store nearest me is an authorized Spector dealer:)

5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    The Spector for sure. And according to the Spector factory they will be arriving late next week. I am ordering a natural bubinga!

6. I played a spector legend 5 and thought it was real nice, you might try looking for a used Peavey Cirrus 6 string.

7. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Ibanez BTB 406QM 6 string.

Used Peavey Cirrus 6.

8. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    The Spector kicks teh pants off the ibanez soundgear, no question. Spector's out of warranty service is excellent as well. I have had them replace parts via express shipping for free on an old bass I bought used. The quality on teh new 2004 legend line is really top notch for an asian factory bass.

the cirrus 6 is nearly impossible to find used for under $700.

The Ibanez BTB is a much different story from the Soundgear- the BTB is excellent quality and is well worth checking out, It rivals the Spectors in the same price range.

9. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    ohh, I didnt see the price limit...

Well, about $800-$900 could find one (Cirrus) and IMHO the one or two hundred would make an Increadible difference.

10. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Agreed Funkize- the Cirrus is an amazing bass, but sometimes that extra $100 just doesn't show up.

11. thadood

thadood

Jun 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    One of the cheaper 6 stringers I've seen (with decent specs) is Peavey's Grind NTB-6.

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Check out the Peavey Grind if you have a Peavey dealer near you. I played one and was pretty impressed, but it weighed a TON!!!

I recently got a Brice from Rondo Music (check out the Essex megathread ) and I'm pretty impressed. It's a good solid work-a-day bass. Not nearly comparable with what you're looking at.

Another brand name to look for is Dean. Their Edge 6 strings are really really nice, I have an Edge 5 and it's fantastic. Probably on par with the Spector you're looking at. Far superior to my Brice.

13. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Notice how everybody's mentioning Spector - I found myself really digging a Spector Q6 at Guitar Center last week, and it was only 700 bucks (used of course) - If I ever go back to six, that's a great neck shape/size. I didn't have time to plug it in to hear though.

14. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    Thanks for all the great help, insight, and suggestions everyone.

15. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Well, I'm a little biased, but I prefer the Spectors. I own 3 Euro series basses. I've personally never played the model you are referring to, but if it's a Spector I'm sure it rocks.

16. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
  17. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    You can get a Spector Q6 for $599 right now on Musicians Friend. That gives you and extra $100 for the case.

18. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    well hell, that means the one at GC was *new* cuz I believe the sign said w/case for that 700 bux. Wild.

19. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    MF had black ones for $399! But I think they had 5 in stock because I wasn't on the phone for 10 with my wife to get the OK before they were gone.

Live and learn.

20. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    For sixes I'd go with the bass with the widest string spacing possible. My ideal six would be a Yamaha TRB because I would not spend the money for a Fodera.