1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need L2k advice/knowledge

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Maxomii, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Maxomii

Maxomii

Sep 18, 2008
    North-east, UK
    Hi! I need some L2k based advice.

I bought my bass off ebay about 2 years ago now, payed £500 (about $950 at the time)for it, but I haven't been able to really play it until recently, because of a jack socket issue. Now that I can play it though, I'm worried about it's authenticity/curious about it's age.

I don't know anyone who owns a G&L, or any shops near me that sell them, so I haven't really been around them a lot, making me a bit of a novice.

One of my curiosities is about the neck. I know it's not REALLY old, because it has the cut-out headstock, it's bi-cut with 3 bolts, but there is no fret dot on the 21st fret, and I've only ever seen maybe 2 without one.

I was also wondering, do all/most L2ks have a plastic control plate? I never thought much of this, but it says on the G&L website that they have a metal cover.

Cheers in advance for any help, and sorry for the long-ass post :)

Max.

2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Pictures would definitely help! If the controls are mounted on a front plate, the plate should be metal, if they are mounted directly to the wood, the rear cavity cover would be plastic...

Karl

3. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    My L2k is an '89.
    1) 3-bolt, bicut neck
    2) No 21st fret dot - I believe this is common for the 3-bolt era.
    3) metal rear control cavity cover

I have never seen a plastic control cover, but who's to say that the old owner didn't replace just that. The rest sounds fine to me.

4. Maxomii

Maxomii

Sep 18, 2008
    North-east, UK
    Thanks for the info guys.

cheers Sunbeast, here's a few (bad) pictures :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

yeah, TDR, I hadn't thought about that :)

Basically, before I realised there was so much variation in these basses I thought it might be a doctored tribute, but it has a US serial anyway.

5. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Looks authentic to me- I've never seen a metal rear control cavity cover on a G&L personally, maybe there was a short transition period when they switched from front-loaded to rear-loaded controls?

6. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    You know, I don't think I've really paid attention to the control cavity cover plate on any L2Ks that I've seen in recent years, to be honest. I know mine is thin metal, with the black textured coating (same as the neck plate and bridge bass on mine, and looks to be the same as the neck plate in Max's pics). And it's not countersunk (I would assume a plastic one would be).

Max - that white blonde is gorgeous.

7. Maxomii

Maxomii

Sep 18, 2008
    North-east, UK
    The cover plate is plastic, but it's all bent because the previous owner had it screwed too tight so I might have to look into finding a replacement.

I just took the neck off, and it's a '97 :)

Thanks for the help guys.

I know TDR, I'd only decided i wanted an L2k an hour before I bought it, because it had 2 hours left on the listing and i just loved the colour so much i couldn't let it go :)

8. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    The rear plates were metal for a long time and they were not routed to fit flush.

The plastic are routed and fit flush.

Jim

9. I just love that transparent white finish.