Need microphone for recording gig from audience

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by duke2004, Dec 21, 2005.

1. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    I am interested to record our band from a point in front of stage, without relying on the sound man's mix all the time. Will be going into a hard drive recorder which has xlr pre/phantom power as an option, and i would like to use one stereo mike that isnt too expensive. I know that there are many great mics that cost gazillions.

Any decent results with a sub $200 microphone for this application?

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i think its closer to $400 but the rode stereo mic seems cool as heck. Ive been thinkin more and more seriously about this mic lately as a simple solution to drum overheads and acoustic guitars. I forget the model name but it does an XY pattern. The sony stereo mic i think would do a good job and fall under that price range. Most people use those to record with minidisc players, also cant remeber the model.

3. There are a lot of ways to get this done. One good way: Look for a pair of the small diaphram condensers and get a stereo bar to mount them to a single stand. I have seen the Oktava/MXL mics going very cheaply, and you should have no problem finding a pair with mounts and a stereo bar for under $200. Same thing goes if you found a pair of cheap large dipahram mics.

4. CetiAlphaVI

CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Midwest
    +1

MXL 990's (large diaphragm) are 49.99 on MF right now. The Y pattern on the small diaphragm condensers (these are typically used as overheads for drums) works well, too.

Another option is to take a couple of "BOUNDARY" mics, and set them up on SR & SL. You could have a simple 4 track mix with those 2 and the X/Y pattern out in the audience.

5. duke2004

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    hmm, me thinks theres a lot to all this. so the xy of the 4 inputs pertains to large diaphram/small diaphram condensors used together in a bar, in that last option?

6. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    Give AT a try for a stereo condenser microphone, I have one and it sounds very good when recording the whole band. It will run two signals down a single XLR microphone cable and it's easy to mount on a mic stand or even put out of sight somewhere at the gig. I've used mine many times with my Sony DAT walkman to make some nice recordings, I think they are under $200.

7. duke2004

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    do you remember which model AT you have used?