Need microphone for recording gig from audience

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by duke2004, Dec 21, 2005.

1. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    I am interested to record our band from a point in front of stage, without relying on the sound man's mix all the time. Will be going into a hard drive recorder which has xlr pre/phantom power as an option, and i would like to use one stereo mike that isnt too expensive. I know that there are many great mics that cost gazillions.

Any decent results with a sub $200 microphone for this application?
  2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i think its closer to $400 but the rode stereo mic seems cool as heck. Ive been thinkin more and more seriously about this mic lately as a simple solution to drum overheads and acoustic guitars. I forget the model name but it does an XY pattern. The sony stereo mic i think would do a good job and fall under that price range. Most people use those to record with minidisc players, also cant remeber the model.
  3. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    There are a lot of ways to get this done. One good way: Look for a pair of the small diaphram condensers and get a stereo bar to mount them to a single stand. I have seen the Oktava/MXL mics going very cheaply, and you should have no problem finding a pair with mounts and a stereo bar for under $200. Same thing goes if you found a pair of cheap large dipahram mics.
  4. CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005

MXL 990's (large diaphragm) are 49.99 on MF right now. The Y pattern on the small diaphragm condensers (these are typically used as overheads for drums) works well, too.

Another option is to take a couple of "BOUNDARY" mics, and set them up on SR & SL. You could have a simple 4 track mix with those 2 and the X/Y pattern out in the audience.
  5. duke2004

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    hmm, me thinks theres a lot to all this. so the xy of the 4 inputs pertains to large diaphram/small diaphram condensors used together in a bar, in that last option?
  6. DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    Give AT a try for a stereo condenser microphone, I have one and it sounds very good when recording the whole band. It will run two signals down a single XLR microphone cable and it's easy to mount on a mic stand or even put out of sight somewhere at the gig. I've used mine many times with my Sony DAT walkman to make some nice recordings, I think they are under $200.
  7. duke2004

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    do you remember which model AT you have used?