Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need opinion for a cab please!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Nuno A., Feb 2, 2004.

1. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Hello there, i would like to ask you guys something, i just got a job playing witha jump-blues band which plays fairly loud, at least much louder then the piano , bass , drums trio that i currently work with. Lately with the trio i was not even using an amp anymore, just a mike, but now things changed, i had a great deal on a GK 400 RB head , but now i need a cab for the head, since the head puts 240 W at 4 ohms, i want to buy a 4 ohms speaker, and i was thinking that a 4 x 10" would be a good idea, does anybody have any opinions? Since i live in Switzerland, David Eden speakers and EA speakers are a little out of my $ range anyway all opinions are welcome.
    Thnaks in advance.

2. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I've had good results using two 1x12 cabs. Each cab is an 8 ohm cab so with two you get a 4 ohm load. This gives you the option of bringing only one cab for smaller or lower volume situations or both for louder shows. As far as what make, there are quite a few good 1x12 cabs out there. I currently use a couple avatars that were cheap and actually sound really good. I also have a genz benz 1x12 that has a nice sound. I had a bagend 1x12 that had a real punchy sound but a little to mid rangey for my taste. Here's a link to the 1x12 cab shoot out or whatever they called it from Bass Player Magazine. It gives you some perspective on some different cabs that are out there.
    http://archive.bassplayer.com/gear/1x12s.shtml

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    What brands do you have available to you? In general, I agree that one or two 1x12's will serve you better than a 4x10, for the situation that you are describing. I also wouldn't rule out 2x10's, 2x8's, or some more exotic combinations. An EA Wizzy 1x12 would rule, but you claim that is not an option. What about a GK extension cab? Don't they make a compact 1x15, and maybe even a 1x12?

Tom.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Something a lot of people don't realize --- a 15" has more square inches of speaker area than a 2x10.

I couldn't do without the shake and warmth of at least one 15" in my rig.

How are the prices on Laney's where you live??? Those are righteous cabs, IMO.

5. Packinmn

Packinmn

Jun 21, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Kevin, can you expand on this any. I am considering one of these cabs and want to know how appropriate it would be for upright. I understand this isn't likely to be a transparent hi-fi cabinet like a EA, but I'm not sure how far from that standard this would fall.

Thanks for any additional input.

6. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    The Genz Benz cab is a really nice sounding cab, I'm surprised they don't get more attention. The one I have is only rated at 150 watts I think, but I've run twice that much into with no problem. I've never used it for anything but upright. I play a mixture of rockabilly & swing stuff which can generaly get louder than your average jazz gig. When I used it for live shows I always used it with a second cab though. It has a nice even overall sound so for jump blues I think it would be a good cab. Definately two of them would be. Remember volume comes with more speakers and not more watts. The Avatars are another good choice with a real good price but I don't know how much shipping would cost you, or if they even ship overseas. Here's a link to avatar
    http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

p.s. If your considering using just one cab and you want to use your GK at it's full 240 watts, I believe you can special order one of the avatar 1x12 cabs with a 4 ohm speaker. Dave at avatar is great on customer service. I don't know that you could get this option with the Genz Benz. But on the other hand if you stick with an 8 ohm cab you can always add on later. Who know's one may be enough. I use to have a gk 400rb and they can get pretty loud even runnig at 8 ohms. Then you can di to the pa for reinforcement if that's an option also.

Kevinlee