1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need opinions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by stickytape706, Mar 19, 2009.

1. stickytape706

stickytape706

Aug 4, 2007
    I use a Ibanez 5 string bass and was playing heavy metal with it and all was good. Recently I joined a band that is more along the sounds of 3 days grace,chevelle etc. The bandleader says I sound great but he said I should probably get some lighter strings so it would sound more better with the style of music we are playing. I currently have elixirs on it but dont really know exactly what kind I should get. Could someone recommend me a great sounding set of strings?

2. stickytape706

stickytape706

Aug 4, 2007
    come on now i know someone has some recommendations

3. I suggest demoting your "band leader" to a "band member" and then telling him to shut it. Use whatever strings you want/like. I really can't say I think one type of string is good for chevelle(or whoever) style music or not. Next time ask him what it is about your strings he doesn't like or better yet what he fells they are lacking.

4. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    that's his way of saying he doesn't like your amp settings.

5. Podgorny

Podgorny

May 1, 2009
    Nashville, TN
    The popularity of Elixer strings is not a result of superior tone. It's because they last a long time. Perfect for a live bass or something that only gets played from time to time. There are better choices for tone's sake (IMHO).

But as far as the string thickness goes, Chevelle's bassist uses .065-.130s on his 4-string Thunderbirds. I doubt your strings are too thick.

6. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Two words...
    A
    Men

7. eedo

eedo

Aug 13, 2008
    Minsk, Belarus
    You can say you've switched to a lighter set without actually switching)). I bet he'll hear the difference lol.
    Then again, maybe try to set your EQ a bit flatter (just a tad) - it will rather enhance your sound than destroy it and it won't change dramatically

8. I'd say amp and bass settings,... with a good onboard pre amp and good amp settings you can get a variety of tones,... is he saying that you need a brighter tone (im assuming it may have been darker/heavier/bassier/lower mids due to the heavy metal thing?)

I use elixirs and have never found them bad in any way shape or form, they were MUCH better on string noise and clarity than black beauties,... can slap, pick and play fingerstyle on them and all sound good,... I think you just need to EQ in a different tone than you have thats all!

9. + 1 to just telling him you've changed strings. Since he doesn't know his issue can be fixed with mild EQ adjustments, he'll "hear" the difference.

10. conqr

conqr

Feb 16, 2009
    Get the strings, at least two gauges lighter, and kill the sucker with fret buzz :D

11. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    sounds like your bandleader is a boner.

12. I would probably ask "Why?"
    Chances are that it can be fixed with some EQing anyway.