Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Power Cord

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Tom Baldwin, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Anybody know where I can get a standard power cord, the kind with 1 male end and 1 female end, like you could use in any number of amps, keyboards, etc. ?

Thanks!

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have seen them anywhere from Radio Shack to Wal-Mart....

:)

don't pay more than a few bucks for one

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Swipe on off of an old computer until you can get to Radio Shack. I lost my Focus power cord the first night I used it, and have used on borrowed from the "computer graveyard" at the U. ever since.

Alternately, you could spend $1500 to get an ULTRA TITANIUM TRIPLE DIALYTHIUM OXIDIZED SUPERPHAT MONSTER power cable and try to vibe everyone into thinking that your sound is .000372% "cleaner" than theirs. :eyebrow:

4. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    That's the nice thing about those universal power cords. One night while setting up at a club I realized I had left my power cord sowewhere and I just went in there office and borrowed the one from the printer.

Kevinlee

5. I'm sick, but not THAT sick. :eek:

Thanks for the replies...off to the shack!

6. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    What you want is often called an IEC power cord. I'd recommend using the heaviest duty one that you can find if you are running any kind of serious audio amp. At least 16 AWG (the lower the AWG number, the heavier the conductors) would be a very good idea. The Radio Shack IEC power cables are OK, but unfortunately they only use 18 ga wire, which is a little on the light side for running amps that can develop several hundred watts of audio power. If you look around, many electronic parts distributors have heavy duty power cords in longer lengths such as 10 ft, which are very handy and saves having to use an extension cord so often.

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The thing I like about the ones you get at the shack and other PC places, is that you can get them with a 90 degree female head on them. If you rack, it is much easier to keep the power cable out of the way with the 90 degree head on it.