1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

need recommendation on bright / long lasting strings..

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SamJ, Apr 27, 2006.

1. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    I have probably some of the oiliest and sweatiest hands I know.. and I go thru new strings weekly.. with only 2 hours a day at best of use..

I tried the D'Adarrio EXL165s and while they last a bit, they're not very bright, even when new... Maybe it's the coating..

Can anyone recommend a good bright, punchy (piano like sound) string, that will last too? I'm willing to pay for it.

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I know what you aren't looking for though - Elixir Polywebs - the highs are dampened quite a bit by the coating. Figure those are gonna get suggested for long life though...

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've got a couple of thoughts & ideas to try for yourself.

1) I've tried some SIT Stainless Rock Brights. They're the zingiest string I'd ever tried. I was bound & determined to keep them on until they toned down a bit. A year later, they just stopped staying in tune & never did loose the zing.

For me, too bright. But, You may like.

2) I am currently trying out some DR Black Beauties. They do NOT feel coated, like Elixirs, because the winding is whats coated. NOT the whole string. They're brighter than I expected them to be. I've only had them on for one day, so, I cant tell you about longevity.

4. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    McHack, Minger thans for the input.. I'll look into those SIT Rock Brights..

Any on-line sources for those that you can recommend?

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ive been a fan of elixir polywebs for about 4 years now but they stopped making it. i have tried every other kind except the new ghs coated ones.

warwick sucked
    dr died quickly
    d'addario dead within a day
    elixir nanoweb sounds great, but didnt last.
    black diamon coated blows. worst of em all.

i am now trying that denatured alcohol thing.

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I've found that DR Hi Beams keep their brightness much longer than any other string I've tried. The initial 'new string RR sizzle' goes away as quickly as any other string, but that second stage, nice punchy, grindy type sizzle lasts for weeks and weeks. Very nice... and nicely priced also.

7. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL

So true! I was soooo disappointed with mine! And I still have a set of 3 unopened! Anyone wana buy them?

I'm trying the D'addario stainless steel (non-coated) to see how long they'll last... I'll be happy with a couple of weeks for $17/set..

8. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL

those the same as the "pro-steels"?

9. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    they were the worst of all of them.

try the prosteels, but whatever you do, do not use a product called string life or extra string life. it killed a brand new e string before i had a chance to even try them out.

i'm going to be trying the denatured alcohol thing, with d'addario pro steels

10. DR Hi-Beam or Lo-Rider strings last a long time. The stainless are bright enough. The Elixers last a while, the coating usually sheds, while I found that it doesnt lessen the string life, you would probably change them, because they start to look bad.

11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I'm not familiar with 'pro steels', but I don't think those are made by DR.

12. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL

I'm now wiping my strings down after each time I play with a quality microfiber cloth and alcohol.. I just hope it doesn't dry out the rosewood fretboard.. but I figure if I oil that between string changes, it should be no problem.

btw... off topic a bit, but what do you guys use for rosewood oil?

13. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
  14. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    D'Addario Pro Steels kept their "rock zing" the longest. Terrible strings though for ME.

They are exactly what you are asking for though.

If you want the best string for what you're asking for - and many different players can use them for different styles - are DR Hi Beams. Really great strings.

15. For bright piano tone i found Ashton strings to be great! i don't know about how long they keep that sound though, only had these on for 2 weeks, but the sound the same as when i put them on though. Although i don't think they are available in the US and they have stopped making them :crying:

But apparently they are changing to hand made and will be back in a few months :hyper:

16. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    I've read a few strings are "hand made" .. I cant for the life of me see how the can make enough by hand.. though I'm a big fan of hand made.. don't get me wrong, and I know most guitars.. even the less expensive Mexico and China made are also hand made... but the hand that makes them may or may not be as "skilled" is all.

17. bkief1

bkief1

Dec 25, 2005
    SamJ,

Similar issue with my hands...for both guitar and bass strings. I was an Elixir user for a long time. About 1.5 years ago, I tried the Snake Oil Brand strings & I'm now a solid convert to these as sold by Dean Farley. They are long lasting and stay the way you want them. I am also one to wipe down the strings after each use (as I did/do with the Elixirs & Snake Oils).

Check out http://www.sobstrings.net

HTH

PS. One other thing I do to help cut down on my hand oils is carry a bottle of the hand sanitizer stuff (that's made from alcohol and dries quickly)

18. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    I do that too... like minds! :D

I'll try out a set! thanks..

19. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    Well, I also just placed an order for some Optima Maxima 24K Gold plated strings which I've read last for ever.. they also retail for about $100 and have street pricing in the 60-75 range.. but what the heck! I'm trying out a bunch of strings, can't exclude them.