Need six string help!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Roger de Flor, Feb 20, 2010.

1. LTD

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. Dean

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. Ibanez

17 vote(s)
    58.6%
  4. Other (Please tell me!)

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  1. I´m from South America, and I´m going to the US this summer. I know that prices are much cheaper there, so I thought to bring a new bass home. I have small hands, play mainly power metal, but I usually help friends playing from blues to latin-afro rythms. I think I would have something like U$S 800 to spend. Would you help me pick one six string bass?

Right now I´m between this trio:

[​IMG]
    LTD B-206SM 6

[​IMG]
    Dean Edge Q6

[​IMG]
    Ibanez SR706

Any other suggestions (new or used) will be apreciated.

Thank you in advance!

P.D.: English is not my native language, so be patient with my mistakes.:D

P.P.D.: And yes, I did a search, but didn´t found anything.:smug:

2. SixStrings4Ever

SixStrings4Ever

Jan 25, 2010
    NJ
    Since I have that Ibanez and never played the other brands you've listed, I only speak on the Ibanez.

It's very versitile, you can use it in any situation, it's very comfortable, the string spacing is not too close at all and the neck is not a bass ball bat.

I have small hands and I find the neck to be very comfortable. Hope that helps.

3. RicoDirenzo

RicoDirenzo

Apr 3, 2009
    Chico, CA
    Carvin LB76!

4. I've played all three that you mentioned (owned an Ibanez) and of the three, I definitely like the Ibanez the best. The ESP had a weak B-string in my opinion, it was a little on the floppy side. The Dean just felt "okay" overall and sounded just a touch generic.

The pickups/EQ in the Ibanez were also the best of the three, but again just my opinion. Bartolini MK-1s and a 3-band EQ that's quite usable. I used it here and there for rock/funk and church/gospel stuff and it fit in pretty well with anything. I was really happy with it!

SR706 is my vote!

5sg.

5. Thanks for the quick answers! Keep them coming!

6. I forgot to mention... the neck on the Ibanez felt the best, too. Fairly thin & flat, I was able to get a great low action. String spacing is pretty reasonable too. :)

5sg.

7. linuscore

linuscore

May 27, 2009
    Los LTD son muy buenos bajos y tienen un buen sonido pero me he fijado que la calidad de madera y de los electronicos de los Ibanez es siempre mejor.

Ya los probaste? si ya lo hiciste. con cual te sentiste mejor?

Digo...mi recomendación seria el Ibanez.

8. Peavey Cirrus basses can be had for that price used. I just got a brand new one for $800 but, then again, it fell from Heaven right into my lap, or so it seems getting a deal like that. Come here and start shopping like mad. You're bound to find something you like.

9. ibanez no question

10. Oui!!

Je recommande l'Ibanez 506 aussi!

:D

I'd recommend my Brice I have for sale, but the necks on the Ibanez are bolt ons resulting in a much thinner profile.

Z

11. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    Ibanez. Just make sure the string spacing suits you, though I'm sure you can get used to it.

You must know there's are tons of metal players using them, which is all that many think they're good for. This afro-cuban band's bassist uses the Ibanez - http://www.fivealarmfunk.com , as does this Funktronica's band use it - http://www.myspace.com/themassesfunktronica Strong players in excellent bands, and they sound fantastic. Totally versatile basses, and as good as anything out there.

Uruguay ... nice country, I hope to visit soon. Enjoy your visit to the US.

12. Always invited, Smash, we have the best beaches and the best barbecues you´ll ever dream of!

You all are being very helpful, seems that an Ibanez or a nice used deal from heaven are awaiting me, but keep answering!

13. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    Hi Roger,

out of your choices I would go with the Ibanez. For a person with small hands it has a narrower spacing. The electronics are pretty good too.

Another option, and a lot cheaper are the Brice 6 strings. I played one a few weeks back, and it was a pretty decent bass. I think it was around $300 US. Take a look at Rondo Music.

The Carvin 6 strings are good basses...I know, I have two. If you go this route I think you want a new, or at least newer one, as the electronics used to be a bit lacking. Both of mine are 10-12 years old, and I am seriously looking into replacing the pickups and preamps in both.

Mark

14. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I don't even Own an Ibanez but totally agree. It's a classic for a "modern" sound like Fender is for "Old School". Around here Ibanez is the standard choice for metal and afro-cuban bands. It's just one of those basses that gives you a lot of tone for the money!

On the other hand, I'd be remiss if I didn't advise you to take a bit of time to check for used bargains. You can save a lot of money on a used instrument. I just saw a Tune 6 string at the local MusicGoRound store for about $600 with tone to die for. I'm having serious gas over it. As others have said you just never know what will fall into your lap. But if luck is not with you, you can't go wrong with the Ibanez if the neck, string spacing etc. feel good to you.

15. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.

Thanks ! Your country also has the most progressive financial and taxation laws (at least for foreigners) in the world. I've often seriously thought of moving down there, but would like to visit first. I've have very much enjoyed my time elsewhere in Sud America, so I'm sure I'd enjoy Uruguay too. Is the party season in Punta Del Este as crazy as I've heard? That's not far from you so I thought you might know. It's the place I'm most interested in at present.

If you're ever in Vancouver, feel free to email me to meet.

16. Well, I´ll go to the Chicago area, so we´ll have no luck this time, but yes, the parties here are wild AND long, er, I mean, I saw in other countries that parties end at midnight or around that time while here we´re just entering the fun! Parties here start around 11 at night and finish at the rising sun time, could be 6 or 7 in the morning, I can´t tell... We have Punta del Este as a rich and famous showplace to see and be seen, and also have Colonia del Sacramento a city preserved from its foundation in 1680 in a leave-it-like-it-was status, including its gates and walls, Rocha that is a reservoir for wildlife...well you´ll see more if you come.

And we have the longest carnival in the world, around a month of parties and parades.

Thanks for the answers. Is there anyone that could help and didn´t post yet?

17. I have owned many of the Ibanez in 4 and 5 string versions as well as the dean in a 5 string version. I'd take any of the Ibanez again. Never another of the Dean. It had the worst neck on it I've ever owned. Very unstable. Constantly adjusting the truss rod. Uncool!

H

18. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

+1

19. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    If you have a chance you should try some schecters to, they're great. I tried my friend's Stiletto Custom 6 and I own a Stiletto Studio 6.

20. Ok, I´ll take them into acount, Ziltoid.
    And watch that coffe!:p

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021