Need Some Advice On A New Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lazlo Panaflex, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    Ok since my GK 800rb completely broke i need to get a new amp. Keep in mind i dont know barely anything about amps but from what ive gathered these are my choices.

1.Ampeg Br-2
    2.Ampeg SVT-3 Pro
    3.Eden Time Traveler

Im leaning towards the Eden because someone recommended it to me but ive never actually played one. My price range is $500-$700.

Edit: Oh yeah i play threw a Ernie Ball Stingray, and my music style is At the drive in'ish.
  2. i agree. although i havent had mine for very long, the short time i have had with it has been precious. its love i tell you. its real.

im getting mushy
  3. I LOVE my SVT3 Pro.

And I like Sparta better than Mars Volta. ;)
  4. What's wrong with your 800RB?
  5. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Yeah, but neither of them compare to ATDI.

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    Have you tried to have your amp servieed?

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    Have you tried to have your amp serviced?
  8. Zharlon

Zharlon From Ice Station Deep Charch 9

Apr 19, 2003
    Northwest U.S.A.
    There is a fellow selling his mesa 400+ in the classified section for 750.00 plus shipping , and he just had it retubed with JJ tubes(from the wonderful Bob at eurotubes I'd wager) If you can come up with the lil' bit of additional WOULDN'T be disappointed with that amp....(I have been a mesa 400+ owner for many years..and just got mine retubed with the JJ's..and all I can say is ...WOW!!)
  9. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    My 800RB decides to just fuzz out every couple of minutes when im playing. I brought it to my local guitar doctor 3 times and he finally replaced the input and it still didnt work... I went ahead and sold it on ebay and now im in the market for a new one.

That is Blasphemy :wink:

Yeah relationship of command and Vaya are still the best albums i own.

ill definetly check that out thanks!

Wow these forums are awesome! Thanks Everyone!

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    I usually will give the local repair man one chance to fix an amp. They usually know if they can bring it back to newspec. Then, I call the manufacturer an request that they fix it.
  11. Are you looking for a different kind of sound than the 800RB?
  12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I would add the Eden WT-550 and the Mesa Walkabout to that list. Both are just out of your price range new, but should be within that price range used. I haven't heard the WT-550, but on paper it looks fantastic, and several other TBers have posted glowing reviews. I do own the Walkabout, which I like very much. It is much louder than the 300w (into 4 ohm) rating would have you believe, and to my ears, it was significantly louder than the Eden Time Traveler that I compared it to, which is rated at 330w into 4 ohm. The Walkabout (and the rest of the M-Pulse line) has great tone set flat, and has a ton of tone tweaking options. You can even overdrive the tube pre for some nice, useable overdriven tones.

The EA iAMP is another classic choice, but the new iAMP 800 is going to be out of your price range, even used. However, I have seen a couple of iAMP 600's sell in that price range.

Hope this helps, Tom.
  13. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    If you can afford it, I'd totally reccomend the Mesa 400+, the amp slays. But from a budget perspective, I am just drooling over the new Yorkville XS400H, it's only around $485US for the head and $675 for the 1x15" combo, depending where you go anyway. It has footswitchable tube overdrive with a OD/Dry blend balance, footswitchable effects loop with a a wet/dry control, it's incredible. I am selling my Bass Pod and trading it in for this amp soon. I only use 2 tones really on my Bass Pod, and the Yorkville amp can get those 2 tones and better.