1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Some Advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Curlyfishfry, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Curlyfishfry

Curlyfishfry

Apr 28, 2009
    :help: Ok so right now im in a Deathcore band and weve got a good line up and set up... except for my amp. its way to quiet to be overheard over the rest of my band. I thought a 75 watt would be good enough but it wasnt.

Im trying to find a bass amp thats within the budget of $300 with at least 200 watts.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Save up some money. The only thing you're going to get for less than $300 is absolute crap. If you're in a heavy genre of music, which I assume "deathcore" is, you'll not be happy with anything in that price range.

3. dose

dose

Nov 2, 2008
    Mobile,AL
    You can pick up a descent used Ampeg or SWR head for 300 but then you'll need a cab. Peavy makes some good low budget combos if your looking to go that way.But i suggest you start looking in to a half stack at least. I play metal myself and i can't see doing it with a full band without at least a half stack

4. boogie8008

boogie8008

Nov 18, 2008
    Denver CO
    Honestly if you guys are playing loud you will probably be disappointed with a 200 watt amp. My advice is to trawl the used adds and try to find something in your price range with some more power. Also you should consider is it worth it so save some more money and get something you can use for a while. In the long run this will be better for you because if you do pick up something under powered you will just have to upgrade sooner.

5. Curlyfishfry

Curlyfishfry

Apr 28, 2009
    Alright thanks people. I'm Probably going to just start saving up then. oh and by the way for recording do u record with the equipment u use on a regular basis? We might be recording soon I really don't want to use my 75 for it if thats the case.

6. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi Curlyfishfry.

Bass is usually recorded directly into a recording console via a direct box or via an amp & speaker simulator.

A good amp simulator for your application would be Tech 21's VT Bass which does a fair job of simulating an Ampeg SVT.

Check out the video demo of the VT Bass to hear what it sounds like.

7. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland

If you shell out 350 dollars, you can get the Acoustic B200 and it is far from "crap."

8. Curlyfishfry

Curlyfishfry

Apr 28, 2009
    so that is good? ok because i looked at this awhile ago and thought it was just for acoustic bass or something. haha but thank you very much for the advice.

9. Depends on what you find for a head. Lots of amps have a DI out that you can use for recording. I've got a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 and have been very pleased with the direct out for recording purposes.

Alternate suggestion: Sansamp Bass Driver. For only $200 (new), these things are a INCREDIBLE. There's a lot of love for Sansamp around TB, too. I got one only a few months ago and I can't believe it took me that long to get one. You might be able to find a used one for less.

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/bassdriverdi.html
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tech-21-SansAmp-Bass-Driver-DI?sku=480206

Another alternate: Aphex Bass Xciter. I haven't ever actually tried one, but it's been on my list for a long time. Sort of along the same lines of the Sansamp, it's a preamp/DI kind of thing. The demo on their site is pretty convincing. :)

http://www.aphex.com/demo1402.htm
    http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Aphex-Bass-Xciter-Pedal?sku=150131

Yet another suggestion... If you find an amp and get a tone you really like out of the cab, invest in a good mic that can handle high sound pressure levels (kick drum/bass guitar mic). Another technique I've picked up along the way for recording bass is running TWO signals... one DI and one mic on the cab.

5sg.

10. what amps are the gui****s using, if they have half stacks, you will need at least 300 watts

11. Curlyfishfry

Curlyfishfry

Apr 28, 2009
    i dont know exactly what they are using except that there not half stacks. haha Lead is usng a Raven and Rythym is using a Marshall. sorry for lack of details.

12. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    For like $422 the B600H is on sale right now at GC... Why be a pussy he's in a Deathmetal band. Hey do you guys like play with handgrenades during breaks and stuff...? That would be way fun. BOB :hyper:

13. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Well, 100 watts are sometimes enough depending on what you are playing through:

[​IMG]

Seriously, a used combo amp 200-300 watt with either a 15" or 2 10" speakers is a good starting point given your budget, but you will probably want more than that eventually.

14. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    I would suggest saving up and getting a 4x10 such as Avatar.