1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need to choose Bass as Xmas gift

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by L00katthatbass, Dec 22, 2018.

1. L00katthatbass

L00katthatbass

Dec 22, 2018
    I'm 100% new to bass, (not music and playing instruments).
    I need a 4 strings bass for punk music.

What I'm looking for is an instrument that will be built well enough that the neck will be nice and setup well.
    I had a new Squier years ago and the neck was so bad that it put me off playing.

Any reccommendations? I'll be shopping tomorrow and the day after.

2. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Fender P-Bass .... Done

devnulljp and JZQuantum like this.
  3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Is there a budget?

4. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I would say that you should factor in that any bass will need a set up, you may get lucky and like one out of the box, but don't count on it.

As @hrodbert696 says, the budget is a large factor.

Anything from a 100$ Squier (set up properly) to a multi thousand dollar custom will work, depending on what you like.

5. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Fender P

JZQuantum likes this.
  6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    $300 bass?
    $500 bass?
    $1,000 bass?
    More?
    By the way, Squiers today are in an entirely different league than whatever Squier you once had.

wizard65 likes this.
  7. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds SUSPENDED

Oct 7, 2016
    Your expectation should NOT be that it is setup right out of the store. Save $35 to $60 to get it setup, or do it yourself. Plenty of info online to do a setup.

I’d get a P or PJ style bass. Plenty of options in all price ranges. Squire, ESP LTD, Ibanez, many more. I’d recommend basses with a tone knob vs an active 3 band EQ.

Gearhead17 likes this.
  8. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Fender P bass, preferably US made.

Smooth_bass88 and JZQuantum like this.
  9. Orange O Bass!!

10. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Look at a few Ramones vids on YouTube. Should help you out with the P-Bass recommendations here.

11. DiscoRiceJ

DiscoRiceJ

Oct 15, 2018
    What do you mean by punk music? It helps if you name a couple things you like. Punk is as diverse as classic rock. I've played some form of punk music for 30 years or so and never got on with a PBass. I like them, just can't play them.

12. Karl_V

Karl_V

Jul 31, 2015
    View attachment 3258003 The blue Warlock as my pic was my road dog through my goth punk time. Outside of radical shape its just a p bass the pups where swapped from passive stock to active EMGs after the demo but before the album. So I'm going to go with just about any cost effective p bass will be punk worthy. Anything too expensive will generally be looked at with some contempt. Maybe player series of mim fender p, but a squier will hold its own just as easy.

13. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    This!
    Bonus points if it's white wit ha black pickguard.

All sorts available according to budget from Squier up to Custom Shop or vintage.

sid4.

Jinglesmeowmeow likes this.
  14. Sounds like you need an Alembic! I’m kidding, what they said! Or also a sterling by musicman sub, the stingray is also a punk staple and shouldn’t be overlooked!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!

Fender Precision. Aaaaaaaaaaaand scene.

Crusher47 likes this.
  16. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    ^^^^THIS^^^^

@LOOkatthatbass
    Go grab a Squier P... toss some Ernie Ball regular Slinkys or DR Black Beauties on ... get a good set up... plug on, turn up, rock it , own it!!
    Just make sure you have a tuner, and use it:thumbsup:

jd56hawk likes this.
  17. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

The Mexico and Japan made ones are also preferable.

18. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    Cheap: Music Man Sub4, Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar, Squier Vintage Modified P-Bass. Squier Classic Vibe anything

Mid-price: Fender Player Series P-Bass or Jaguar Bass. Fender Standard Series P-Bass.

Expensive: who cares?