1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need to choose cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FREDDYKBASS, Aug 25, 2019.

1. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    If you can stretch to get one of these I think you would be well served. Unless there is something you love about 4X10 I personally like a 12 or 15 stack.

FREDDYKBASS likes this.
  2. FREDDYKBASS

FREDDYKBASS

Feb 4, 2019
    The Fender cab is 10 lbs LESS than the Eden!

3. FREDDYKBASS

FREDDYKBASS

Feb 4, 2019
    No, I'm not set on 4x10. I've looked at the Genzler on zzsounds and I'm considering it as well. I just don't know if it will work for a rock outfit. We don't play absurdly loud and most clubs are mid to small size where we play. If we do an outdoor gig I can always go direct as well.

4. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    Check out the Mesa Subway 115

FREDDYKBASS likes this.
  5. Magthegrate

Magthegrate Way less skilled than my gear suggests.

Sep 18, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It's not one of the options you mentioned, but my 4x10 of choice is a TC Electronic RS410.

Edit: I wouldn't call it light...

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    FREDDYKBASS likes this.
  6. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    Fender neo!

7. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    IME I'd rather have a great 2X12 than a good 4X10. You might be surprised how much those Faital 12's kick. If you guys are super loud are you looking at 4X10's to eventually add a second for an 8X10 Stack? Then it would make more sense I think to go 4X10.

SteveHeissner and FREDDYKBASS like this.
  8. FREDDYKBASS

FREDDYKBASS

Feb 4, 2019
    Good point and no, we are not a loud band in general so that's not a concern.
    Thanks

9. FREDDYKBASS

FREDDYKBASS

Feb 4, 2019
    Yeah, and that's one of the things that I'm avoiding.
    Thanks tho'

10. There are two ways a square 410 box can broadcast 'clean midrange.

Either a .5 alignment à là Barefaced.

Or a dedicated mid driver with a crossover. Never seen one.

FREDDYKBASS likes this.
  11. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Out of the two I personally prefer the Eden, they have a nice sound. I used one many times with different heads but I've always been able to get the warm but clear sound from the Eden, nothing wrong with the Fender either it's just personal preference.

12. "I've looked at the Genzler on zzsounds and I'm considering it as well. I just don't know if it will work for a rock outfit..."

No worries, mate. It'll work for any outfit.

FREDDYKBASS and chris_b like this.
  13. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    True but the sound more than makes up for that in my opinion. Although weight is a consideration, it just doesn't trump the sound you get as far as I'm concerned. My single 410 cabinet (DNS-410) is 79-lbs, but it replaces a 115 + 410 stack (approx. 115-lbs) that I used before. The sound is an order of magnitude better (clearer, more articulate, and MUCH louder) and I never need to lug around an 810 even for festival gigs. Take weight into consideration but don't give it primary importance or you may regret it down the road.

As others have said, you really need to take your bass and amp and go play both of these to see what fits you the best.

FREDDYKBASS likes this.
  14. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    An 800W 8-ohm Phil Jones C8 cab weighs 57 pounds. An 800W 4-ohm C8-Lite cab weighs 41 pounds. And it will sound as good as or better than anything else mentioned in this thread.

Just sayin'.
    C8-250x300.

BOOG likes this.
  15. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Always wanted to try PJ cabs but, no luck, yet.

FREDDYKBASS likes this.
  16. FREDDYKBASS

FREDDYKBASS

Feb 4, 2019
    Yep, in the end it's going to come down to that. I might do that next week and let you guys know what I decided.

Rip Van Dan likes this.
  17. FREDDYKBASS

FREDDYKBASS

Feb 4, 2019
    Thanks. I will see if zzsounds carries those speakers.

BlueTalon likes this.
  18. FREDDYKBASS

FREDDYKBASS

Feb 4, 2019
    Hello friends.

After much research on bass cabs (mainly 4x10s and 2x12s) I have finally settled for the Genzler MG212T Magellan Bass Cab. Considerations were many: Price, Weight, Size, Speaker Brand and venues that I mostly play.

The main factors that swayed me for the Genzler cab were the speakers and then the weight.

Everywhere I read about the Faitals were positive reviews and granted, I'm going on reading articles, reviews, speaker specs and watching some videos but at some point I figured, it was worth taking a chance and since there is no store (as far as I know) that has them for me to try out, I took the plunge. Another consideration was that I can return them within 45 days after purchase if I don't like them.

The cab will arrive this coming Friday so I'll have some time on the weekend to give them a first run. I will let you know what I think.

Thank you kindly for your thoughts and suggestions.

Freddy.

revroy, BOOG and Downunderwonder like this.
  19. FREDDYKBASS

FREDDYKBASS

Feb 4, 2019
    That is exactly what I purchased. Cab should arrive Friday. I'm exited about it!
    I'm going to play with it over the weekend and I'm going to post my findings afterwards.
    Cheers.

aproud1 likes this.
  20. Genzler