1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Trekkie help.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by twinjet, Jan 1, 2018.

1. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship?

Sep 23, 2008
    Just started Broken How I & II, Enterprise's pilot episode. Thought the pre-Kirk days would be awesome. Instead, I was totally disappointed. Below are my thoughts.

Characters:
    Can't stand Trip –he has this faux-McCoy thing going that he doesn't do well– and he hasn't done much besides be annoying and lose his poopie around the visiting t'Pol, to whom I have taken a liking.

I would like to say that Jolene Blalock does a great job playing the Vulcan as she shows no emotion at all throughout the pilot. Like all Vulcans she is quick to reason with logic and will not hesitate to complete the mission at the expense of crew. She seems to show about as much disdain for Archer as I have, which is to say, a lot.

Archer isn't a fraction of the captain Kirk or Picard are. I told myself I would give this show a minimum of one season (as we all had to with TNG). So far he's off to a really bad start. No real sense of authority coming from him except for "hey t'Pol, quit making me look like an Academy reject". Also, the obvious request to t'Pol to save face at the end... :banghead:

Plot:
    Moves reeeeally slowly. I couldn't keep my eyes open. I found myself watching the kettle boil the whole time.

Overall:
    I really want to like this show. However things are just catastrophic right now. If Rick Berman and Brannon Braga did not have their names associated with the show, I would have guessed this was some embarrassing spinoff using the Star Trek name for ratings. Again... One season.

Give it to me straight: does this show ever improve?

Big Shrek likes this.
  2. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    Not really.
    Watch the two-part " in a mirror darkly". That's proper Trek, Mirror Universe-style.

superdick2112 and twinjet like this.
  3. I was not able to watch it. The theme song was awful. Futurama made a pretty good joke in one of their movies about it thou.

Big Shrek and twinjet like this.
  4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ah, you're watching Enterprise. A good series, but, like almost every other Trek, the first season is rough. By the 3rd season, it gets really good... then really goes sideways in the 4th season. If you stick with it, it's worth it in the end, but takes a bit to get there.

5. If you're going in hypercritical of everything, I doubt it will get better, in your eyes.

embellisher likes this.
  6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The general tone and character traits don't change much till the third season. The story telling is pretty good. I didn't love the show but I didn't hate it. I say give the season a chance.

7. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I recently, thanks to Netflix's generosity, decided to watch the pilot episode of every Star Trek show.
    I actually thought Enterprise was ok, certainly a lot better than TNG's pilot.
    However, I really need to watch a whole series and give a fair trial.

Slightly off the subject, but has anyone seen the first episode of the latest series of Black Mirror, 'USS Calister'?
    A very good Trekkie parody.

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    @twinjet
    Watch season 1 episode 13 Dear Doctor. Skip to that. It's one of the better episodes of any of the series. If you like it than the rest is worth watching, IMO. The doctor is my favorite character on the show. The rest of the cast was kind of weak. Bakula was good but I don't think he had much to work with.

Big Shrek likes this.
  9. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    My wife and I loved it...Doesn't mean you will!

10. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I'm not a big trekkie by any stretch, enjoy the original the most. A TV station called Heroes and Icons runs all of the Treks every night. Deep Space 9 is usually the one that bores me. Enterprise is pretty cool, I like that they don't trust the transporter. You'll see they like to put T'pol in decontamination a bunch, which is cool. I prefer her over Voyager's 7 of 9. It's pretty hard to top Picard or Kirk as captain, Janeway is kinda annoying, and I can't even tell you who the Deep Space 9 captain's name.

11. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    You agree with me, so I like you! ;)

I wouldn't call myself a true Trekkie either, as I have watched all of TNG and about half TOS. So far I'm not sure if Enterprise and I are going to work out.

I saw t'Pol in decon and had to wonder how cold it was in there...

embellisher and BurnOut like this.
  12. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I think Gabriel Lorca, the latest Captain on Discovery, is my favourite captain of them all.

BurnOut likes this.
  13. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I clean forgot about that one, I've barely seen it. Not on cable or dish, so I'm not hip to the new stuff.

danesdad likes this.
  14. Less than a week before ST: Discovery continues!

Oddly likes this.
  15. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    The doctor annoys me greatly. Reminds me of Gale Boetticher from Breaking Bad.

I am starting with Enterprise as it is chronologically the first series. After that I plan to finish TOS, skip TNG (seen it all) and hit the new ones.

murphy likes this.
  16. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Wow. My recommendations are meaningless for you then. I think Phlox is by far the most interesting character and Gale was one of my favorites. I'm curious what you'll think of DS9. TNG is my favorite because I grew up with it but I think DS9 has the best stories and performances. You don't really need to start with Enterprise just because it's first chronologically. In fact, the little details that are entertaining to a trek fan would be lost on you without having seen the other series first. It would be like showing the Phantom Menace first to someone who's never seen Star Wars. The series are best enjoyed in order they aired on tv.

17. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    Hey, that's a good point. Suppose I can finish TOS then skip ahead...

Big Shrek likes this.
  18. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Meh. TOS should be watched because it's a part of history, but it's harldy the best trek, IMO. If you're already familiar with and liked TNG, than DS9 is perfect for your next watch. It starts during the last season of TNG. Picard is in the first episode. Chief O'Brian is in it. Another big TNG character joins in season 4. It's great.

19. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    Hmmmm... Thanks, Gorn!

20. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I think you'll enjoy DS9 but I gotta warn you, the first season is rough in spots. It has what's arguably the worst episode of Star trek, or any tv show really.