1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neuman km185

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by flatback, Apr 14, 2005.

1. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Were putting together some recording gear and we alreaday have a pair of 184's...tthat mic sounds great with the bass but I'm wondering about te KM185 as a bass mic for live recording applications? Is it the preferable choice? does it have a much tighter pattern (not on paper but in experience?) I saw somewhere someone had made a nifty mic mount from foam and fit between tailpiece and bass...was that here on this forum?
    anybody have thoughts...

cheers,
    Piro

2. I think the posting may have been mine. I have a pair of KM184s and have used one strung between the legs of the bridge - it worked OK for low volume gigs, but at higher levels was prone to feedback. I also have a KM185 which I also used in a similar manner - this worked better, but still tends to feed back at high levels. The foam mount behind the tail-piece, was just a convenient way of mounting the mic quickly, as I found that setting up and adjusting the rubber-bands was too fiddly in a live situation, especially if the lights were dimmed. The KM185 would also work very well on a stand with the mic pointing at the bridge, but then I'd have to be constantly aware of keeping the bass in the "sweet-spot", especially with a hypercardioid, so it's much easier to have the mic mounted on the bass (one disadvantage of having it pointing up is that it tends to pick up any noises or comments I might make, although I tend not be a "grunter"…)

As for the results, I find that if it's a quiet gig (just guitar & bass, say) I can easily play without the amp - if there's a sax or piano and drums, then I might have to have the amp on low, and I now use the KM185 behind the tailpiece - the sound is my bass, but louder. If I'm playing with a larger group where there may be even more sound (horn section, or big-band) then I use the Fishman Full-Circle, which I've found is least susceptible to feed-back, but doesn't sound as good as just using the mic.

I've also played at gigs where there's been a sound system, and I found that using just the mic through the board, so that the bass was amplified through the main system, and not bothering with my stage amp - that seemed to work extremely well - people commented on how nice the bass sounded, and everyone in the band could hear it clearly even though I wasn't using a stage amp.

For recording, where you have total control of the environment, I think using a good mic beats using any pickup any day (IMNSOH)

Hope this helps -

- Wil

3. I use the 185, without an additional pickup, in every situation where I need to be amplified, and so far it did not let me down. On the contrary, as I wrote in the thread that T-bal posted. I do feel that it is important that the rest of your rig, if you prefer to play with the mic through your rig, is up to par. I use a dedicated studio mic preamp, a studio power amp and a Glockenklang Acoustic Art Mk. 1 cab, which actually is a studio monitor in a roadready housing. Live and in the studio I use the mic on a stand, pointed just below my bridge. I couldn't be happier with the recorded and live sound!

Cheers,

Vincent