Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neuser Fretless System-Anyone Try One?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've read about this on TB before, and the soundclips sound great (although Dominique DiPiazza, who made the clip I heard, could make a stick with yarn strings sound great), but I was wondering if anyone's gotten to try one first-hand. Are they even available in America through any dealers yet?

2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Tried it and already commented about it on TB.

no interest at all IMHO

Peace,
    JP

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I remember your comments, but that was a year and a half ago, so I figured they might have made some adjustments or improvements. Have you tried one since then?

4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE

nope Brian, I haven't tried them again but I haven't heard about any changes. I saw the system again this year at the musikmesse but didn't feel the need to try again.

ABM is making them now so maybe you should ask allparts to get them in the USA.

Peace,
    JP

5. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    can anybody expand on what exactly the system involves?

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Basically, fretless basses get their continuous upper harmonic generation ("mwah") due to the string scrubbing or bouncing off the fretboard in the immediate vicinity of the fretting finger. A sitar works similarly, except that the buzzy contact is made at the shallow-convex shaped bridge saddles.

The Neuser system provides a cover you slide up over the bridge saddle, that gives the string a surface to scrub/reflect off of, in similar manner. The cover can be slid on and off, to turn the effect on and off.

There's now detailed info on their website.