1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Never again!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by tallulahsdaddy, Nov 18, 2019.

1. I've been a gigging bass player for almost 20 years. Before yesterday, I'd never had a piece of gear fail on me at a show. Never even broken a string, honestly. I typically only bring one bass with me, and trust that things will work as they should. Never again! My bass started crackling at my gig yesterday, then completely stopped working. Fortunately, it was at the end of the set, and there was a piano at the venue so we finished up with some songs I play keys on. Still, it was very embarrassing and I will be bringing a backup bass to every gig I do from now on! Also a bag with extra cables, strings, and my DI/preamp in case something unexpected happens. You gotta be prepared for anything, as I learned the hard way yesterday!

marmadaddy, dbase, rtslinger and 38 others like this.
  2. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    It sucks, but stuff fails regardless of how much attention we pay to our gear. I hate dragging so much extra crap around that I will likely never need, but I look at it like this: If I have backup stuff, my gear won't fail - this is a good thing.

I'd rather have something and not need it - the reverse is embarrassing at best.

leto, MattZilla, lat and 11 others like this.
  3. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    You went 20 years with no issues and, after a single incident, you're going to bring an extra bass, cables/ strings, preamp and DI :cautious:
    It was a battery in your active bass wasn't it? ;)

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    You could have played key bass. :thumbsup:

5. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Well, look at it this way...you buy insurance on a number of things, right? That ends up being a lot of money for something that(you hope)you don’t use, ironically. But you will never know when ‘the moment’ will come. Maybe never. Yeah, certainly someone can go overboard, but cables, strings, straps, batteries, small tool kit, plug strip, circuit tester, I get it. If it’s such a burden, just leave the kit in the car. I saved a gig once with a Crate Powerblock, and now with stuff like the ELF, having a backup amp is not an inconvenience. There’s no AAA for musicians, so I never understood shade being thrown on preparedness.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  6. Nope.

equill, Element Zero, Charlzm and 2 others like this.
  7. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHGXDWCfsMg7aIYk5GxJvluzF-UUphGFmyYfTTSYuHndP4H8Du&s.jpg
    I am so cool and my gear is so cool it will never fail me when I need it most.
    People who choose to schlep around all that extra gear are just insecure nerds and their gear is probably cheap stuff I wouldn't be on the same stage with.

Nashrakh, Sixgunn, Wisebass and 10 others like this.
  8. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    That's why I have a $100 Squier "trunk bass".

9. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    If I play with an unreliable drummer, should I keep one in my trunk?

myopia, Wisebass, BassManKK and 54 others like this.
  10. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area

I guess my humor missed it's mark :unsure:

My point it's happened to me more than once... one bad battery lead me to overreacting/ overplanning. I wasn't taking shots at anyone other than me :thumbsup:

teh-slb, Babydave, Curtbass and 4 others like this.
  11. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

My backup is the other bass player in my seniors uke group of 50, and I'm his, but last week he couldn't make rehearsal, and wouldn't you know it, my wireless battery died, though I'm prepared, always have a spare, only missed about 10 bars of the song.

12. No offense taken! Honestly, if it had been a dead battery, I'd rather grab another bass that's ready to go then take the time to change said battery. You can't plan for every eventuality, but carrying an extra gig bag is a small effort to make in order to make sure I don't have this problem again!

Wisebass, Babydave, HolmeBass and 4 others like this.
  13. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    I did the same :thumbsup:

tallulahsdaddy likes this.
  14. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    If you can find a good "trunk drummer", especially for $100, by all means! :D

Wisebass, downunder, leto and 12 others like this.
  15. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    Not quite $100. but it will do.

neuman, crobasster, TortCult and 18 others like this.
  16. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    We had a sax player at one point that we would pick up on the way to practice. One night, it was really cold, and the 3 of us already in the car (2 guitarists and a bassist) had our instruments in the back seat, to keep them warm. When we pulled up to the sax player's place he took a LONG time to come out, and the driver/guitarist rolled down his window, and said "you gotta ride in the trunk" We had joked about this during the long wait, and none of us were that serious, but the sax player said, "sure". Next thing we know we're rolling to practice, cranking the stereo, speakers located in the trunk lid (it must have been LOUD in there), hitting the occasional bump, and laughing about the sax player in the trunk.

A few months later the sax player left the band; we brainstormed the ad for his replacement. All of us WANTED it to say "must be serious; willing to ride in trunk", but alas we chickened out, and posted a regular ad.

chuckNC, lat, downunder and 16 others like this.
  17. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

What, you don't keep your drummer in the trunk?

18. Was it an output jack failure?

I've had that happen. Fortunately, the spare was right there, tuned up and plugged into an A/B box, ready to roll. Literally less than 10 seconds of down time while I made the switch.

With some bands and gigs, you can get away with losing your one and only in the middle of a song or set. But I've never had that luxury. The vast majority of my performance opportunities would have resulted in the hairy eyeball (or worse) from a few people if I didn't have a back up ready to go.

Nevada Pete and tallulahsdaddy like this.
  19. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i only took one ax when i only had one ax.

monkey in the trunk! hilarious! :laugh:

20. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Nope, just the sax player, and he earned that privilege.