New 1959 family member

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BILL Db, Jul 11, 2020.

1. She just arrived last week from the C/S in Corona Calif..
    An homage to my home town of Fullerton, my friendship with Leo and the first bass that I learned on, a '59' P- bass. Took five months.

'59' P- Bass NOS Lacquer
    8.4lbs., Ash, sort for light, med tint, sort for dark rosewood, reverse machines, vint. frets, H.W. '57' pickups, correct brown tolex case.

Sharing the love,
    Bill Dickinson IMG_0565.JPG IMG_0591.JPG IMG_0569.jpg IMG_0571.JPG IMG_0572.JPG IMG_0564.JPG

2. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    East Bay, N. Ca.
    So sweet.

3. baddarryl

baddarryl

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Sick!

4. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    oh laward.... that's an eye popper for sure! and a bass to be buried with (or passed onto the kids).. :)

L

4 Strings Good likes this.
  5. That is absolutely wonderful! Congratulations!

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Now that is nice!

7. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Awesome!
    Tell us about Leo!

8. MynameisMe

MynameisMe Be kind. Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax, Florida
    Nice!

9. All the above and more a beautiful bass :thumbsup:. What case candy do you get with a FCS bass?

10. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Congratulations! She is beautiful. What will you name her?

11. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    68FF7531-47A7-490D-888F-D4F9CC1518BA.jpeg
    And no tort! I recently REPLACED the tort pickguard on my 30 year old USA '62 Reissue (AVRI) with a gold anodized off a road worn, effectively turning it into a ''59 reissue".

wraub likes this.
  12. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    Congrats on a mighty fine bass! Since its Custom Shop I'm guessing the neck is 1.75, but can't tell from the photos. Enjoy and please tell us about Leo:)

13. JohnPaulSmith

JohnPaulSmith Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Lancaster County, PA
    Beautiful! A C/S version of my birth year bass. Hmmm....go away GAS.

Pdaddy1978 likes this.
  14. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    I put an anodized 'guard on my stripped MIJ Squier P for the same effect. :)

Smooth_bass88 likes this.
  15. Wowee!!... A real live "holy grail " bass.
    How many of your children did you have to sell to finance that?!... :wideyed:

Root 5 likes this.
  16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Beautiful! Simply beautiful! :woot:

But a Fender CS? My wallet took one look and is now hiding under the bed and won’t come out.

Congratulations! Play it well. :):thumbsup:

17. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    A good musical instrument should survive its "owner". The second musician instrument I ever got was the neighbor's grandpa's "old violin" - they knew I played, and they gave it to me. It was from the late 1800's, and was a better instrument than the 1968 (new at that point) one that my parents had bought for me (which was a bit awkward, but we got past it).

When I no longer played violin, I passed both of my violins on to a group that gives them to young folks of modest means starting out in music. Somewhere out there, there are a couple kids with really nice violins - one of them has one that's about 120 years older than they are. I've done the same with a number of basses as well. I didn't own those instruments, I just had stewardship of them for a time.

18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

An excellent sentiment. One I agree with 100%. (I’ve done the same.) :thumbsup:

19. When I was a kid, my friend and I used to ride our bikes over to the factory on Raymond av. and watch through an open door in the back (no a.c. in the summer). Inside we could see women siting at benches doing soldering and guys in tank tops working on band saws. Years later, I became a customer and got to know Leo who attended Fullerton College where I studied music. He was the consummate geek but very clever. He did play the sax in school but never guitar or bass and was deaf in one ear. I never saw him without a shirt pocket full of pens and pencils. He was generous and helped me with a shipping case for my amp when I was to fly out on my first tour with a major Record act. I was clueless (no ATA cases then).

Sorry if I went on.
    Bill D

Lucky Chuck, jonro, tommyeadg and 5 others like this.
  20. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Incredible bass, and story!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021