Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new 210 cab suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b-ace!, Apr 24, 2005.

1. b-ace!

b-ace!

Jul 15, 2004
    Hi, can anyone give me some suggestions, I'm looking to buy a cheap(-ish) 210 cab to use with a Hartke 3500 head and a MIA P-Bass. Im going for a 210 because I'll only be practicing with it and never be using it for gigs. currently im using a gallien-krueger 410 which im going to sell (too much power). Im after a good all rounder cab, something similar to an ampeg sound maybe (if i can get it with what I've got).

I live in the UK so stuff like avatar and aguilar is not available here. I've got about £250 to spend. any help would be appreciated loads. thanks.

2. Go used, maybe ebay?

3. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    If you weren't over in the UK, I'd take that 4x10 from you.

But definately shop used. Ashdown, maybe? Or Trace? Both are made in the UK and should be cheaper over there. I would advise staying away from Behringer (not only because of the name and their business practices, but because they use aluminum cones as well).

Try everything you can, and be prepared to og over budget on something good.

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd keep that GK... You can always turn down if you have too much power.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    You might also take a look at MarkBass. Being that they are Italian made, the UK price might be more attractive. Although given the UK to US exchange rate a the moment you have license to rape and pillage over here ... I would think you could more than make up the freight difference.

There is a used Peavey 210 TX in the Gear For Sale at theDudepit.com The fellow (no affiliation) is asking $220 USD and shipping which is what 130 to 140 GBP ? At that price you can pay for some shipping and a little duty I would think ...

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    acme B2

no doubt a big fat sound at low volume, with a low B to kill for. or that'd kill you!

plenty of power, and you'll be kickin' some massive tone.

7. ceycey

ceycey

Dec 22, 2004
    Turkey
    I'm using Ampeg BXT210M as a standalone in small-medium gigs. It has nice power handling capacity and a well balanced tone. The tweeter is the smoothest i have ever heard. At highest volumes i can't say it can handle the low B very as a 4x10 and to me it's acceptable. You can use it as a monitor too and that's a nice option. It's quite heavy and hard to carry alone.

8. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004

persoanlly

u should keep that cab

and by the sounds of it, use ur money to get a gym membership

9. alibloke

alibloke

Dec 17, 2004
    Bristol, England
    Best thing to do is to take your bass and amp to your local music shop and play through a number of cabs, and find what sounds best to you.

The Hartke VX and Ashdown MAG "deep" series cabs should both easily fall within your price range for a 2x10.

Of those two I'd probably lean toward the Ashdown, which can be had at soundslive.co.uk for around £170, but if you search around you may be able to find it even cheaper ;)

Also, you may be able to find the Warwick 211 Pro at a discount (normally retails for £299), which is a great cab for the money.