New amp dilemma

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RedKestrel, Apr 3, 2018.

1. RedKestrel

RedKestrel

Feb 20, 2016
    Hi all,

I currently own a TC BG250 15inch combo, 250w which I have gigged before. Its ok for £250-300 but at loud volumes the tone goes to just a loud low rumble which is kind of annoying. It does have a DI, but then I have to rely on whatever terrible PA the venue has.

I'm looking at getting the Ashdown Rootmaster 210 500w combo, and possibly doing a stereo rig, with that and the tc. 750w total, 210 and 115, and put all the drive through the ashdown, and all the lows through the tc. Also, could get a future extension 210 cab to run off the ashdown. I am on a budget, and this is the cheapest solution I have found.

Alternatively, could get the rootmaster head, (500 or 800) , with maybe a 410, or save a bit more and get a Darkglass head (which would be a head for life to be fair, especially if its the 900w version), but then transport adds up. Im a big fan of the Hartke cabs, and the 1000w 410 would be amazing, albeit heavy and hard to transport.

Would love to hear opinions,

Thanks

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    What's your max budget?

3. RedKestrel

RedKestrel

Feb 20, 2016
    i dont want to be spending much more than £600, but can push myself if its a decent lifelong investment like the darkglass gear

4. Don't kid yourself about lifelong investing in a bass amplifier.

How many people are in these venues? What is the crappy PA situation? Are you sure it's all that bad?

My catch-all is a 2x 210 vertical stack with a micro amp on top. Keeping up with the acoustic drums but staying under the PA when it's a big venue FOH gig by turning down and even unplugging the bottom cab.

Meanwhile put your combo up on a chair so you can hear it better. In a smaller venue that could be all that's needed.

Gearhead17 likes this.
  5. RedKestrel

RedKestrel

Feb 20, 2016
    Good ideas. Yeah GAS.. im into pedals at the moment but when i have more money i know that will turn into amps :p
    Figured it might be fun to build a rig of combos, get loads of different amp brands and have the ability to change tones up during a gig.

A 500w 210 combo should cut it. I could tip it back a little bit to get the 'monitor' angle I guess.

And yeah i have played some terrible venues, with crappy sound guys, or ive been doing the sound teching myself (on a wireless cable), hired PA with 4 inputs ..

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Since you're into pedals, pickup an HPF before you spend more of your hard-earned cash.
    High Pass Filter (HPF) and Low Pass Filter (LPF) Mega Thread

Whatever you use, it'll help reduce/eliminate low-end distortion and protect your speakers from over excursion. You may be able to get by without buying another rig.

For different tones without investing in "loads of different amp brands", I suggest looking into pedal pre-amps and multi-effect units/cab simulators. The Effects Forum can help you out.

Fender Rumble 2x10 500c would fit in your budget and gets lots of love on TB. Check out the Fender Rumble Club thread.

You can add another 2x10 later for a 4x10 vertical stack which gives you better stage volume, closer to your ears and a modular rig pretty much for any gig in smaller venues and larger venues where you don't want to DI.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  7. Yeah, I think too much emphasis is placed on our rigs. Sure a big stack looks cool on stage, but it isn’t really our responsibility, financial or labor-wise, to equip the house sound.

You are much better off finding a small amp you like as a personal monitor, and using a DI to get to the stage monitors and mains.

somebrains likes this.
  8. RedKestrel

RedKestrel

Feb 20, 2016

You are right about the preamps actually, ive been using a darkglass b7k and (even with no distortion) its the best goddamn preamp ive ever seen. So tempted now to drop 400 quid on the alpha omega ultra. Although with the multi amp setup, I do really appreciate the different tones you get from using different amps as well as different preamp pedals

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022