new amp : EBS - pro's and con's ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by whitehouse, May 21, 2004.

1. hi there,

I am thinking of buying a second-hand EBS - combo.

specs :

Combo EBS Gorm G40, GET410
    4x10"/*Horn, 350W, Solid State

does anybody know this one, and if so, are there pro's or con's ??
    is it a very heavy combo ?

is it a versatile amp ?
    (am playing rock AND funk)

my price : 1000$
  2. Ive tried EBS a few times but only with Bernie Goodfellows GB Basses. They have the most awesome slap sound in the world ever, very punchy, very loud and they do look good. Im not sure of there flexibility to do the rock stuff but I think it would be here, they have plenty of EQ options etc.
  3. As an EBS fan I am obviously biased, but I think they make very versatile amps. Yes, they great for slapping, but they do a good job with grittier tonalities too, especially the ones with the emulated tube drive (I don´t think Gorm has one though).

I don´t know how muh EBSs go for in the Netherlands, but I dare say you should definitely jump on that offer - a new 4x10 Gorm costs almost 2000 euros here! :(

It weighs 43 kg, so it´s pretty hefty. But then again, it´s not so much heavier than an average 4x10 cab so...
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The tone?
    Can you say Marcus Miller? ;)
    Should be good
  5. I have the older model 300w GORM 2x10"+horn. It is quite versatile. The basic sound is clear and punchy. The EQ affects the sound very much. With the character switch on the sound gets a bit warmer. You can get very bright sounds too. And it is quite loud. The 4x10" is propably even louder. The GORM works for me.
  6. ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    If the 4x10" in the Gorm compares to the stand-alone EBS 410 cab, you should love it! I only played the 2*10" model and kept the 410 cab because I felt it has more apparent depth and punch.

The Gorm preamp section is very similar tonally to the HD350 head, quite excellent, plus an octaver if my memory is correct. The latter is a top notch effect with excellent tracking. You might not entirely be able to get a real vintage tone from this amp, but with the character switch and EQ you can get close enough. For funk, you'll never look back.

If it's in good nick, 1000$ is a good price too. I would go for it.
  7. bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    As an EBS user I would not recommend you the Gorm for Rock. EBS equipment is very versatile in sound but not this combo. The better joice would be the HD350 with a 410 or a 212 or even better the Fafner or the TD650. All the EBS heads have a drive control included wich makes them more growlier and more compressed sounding (in a good way). Without the drive funktion the sound is too clean even for funk.
  8. But since $1000 is quite a good deal for the combo, one might buy an overdrive pedal if the combo sounds too clean. After all, the EBS heads are quite expensive. EBS Multidrive might be a good choice for those warm "tubeish" sounds. Or a SanAmp BassDriver. Altough I haven't tried them yet myself.
  9. I agree with Chief - you can always add some "color" and grit to clean sound, but not the other way round.
  10. Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    I'm a proud user of EBS Gear.

I've the Fafner Amp and a 6x10" Cab.

This baby certaintly rocks :bassist:
  11. ehm..ow..ehm...

I am looking for an amp that can give me a funky sound, but if I play u2 on my new Fender Jazz, it should also sound like u2...
  12. Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    I think that would be possible :)