New amp thoughts. I’m really lost

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DanielSkilberg, Aug 14, 2022.

1. I’m going to get a new amp for a new band. Also I want an amp to bring between gigs, rehearsals and my home on the second floor with stairs.

I already have a Fender Bassman Pro 400 in one of my bands and a Marshall DBS7400 with a 1x15” and a 4x10” in my other band. I also have an Ampeg BA-108 at home for practising.

I have been looking for another amp for a new coverband I’m starting. I would prefer a combo so I can carry it in one hand and the bass in the other hand.
    I need something reliable. I will almost always have pa support so it doesn’t have to be a watt monster.

I have been considering Fender Rumble 200, Orange Crush 100, Markbass CMD121P or CMD151P, Peavey Max 250, EBS Classic 120. Am I missing any contenders? Which would be most reliable?

I live in Sweden were the used market is really bad right now. I have at the most 700 dollars to play with.

I would appreciate some tips. Thanks in advance.

DJ Bebop and j0616bass like this.
  2. If you are considering a Rumble 200 combo and the Orange Crush 100 combo, you might also look at the Rumble 100 combo. This based solely on size and power requirements listed with your other choices. I have the Rum 200 combo. And as much as I like it, carrying it very far (or up and down stairs a lot) while also carrying my bass could be a bit cumbersome. The 200 has a 15" speaker vs the 100's 12". The 200 alone is rated at 140 watts. The 100 gets you the full 100 by itself. They both have D.I. (post only) and send/return so those go along with PA support. The biggest downside to the 100 is that it will not accept an external cabinet.

DJ Bebop, Dust2Dust and Ggaa like this.
  3. Thanks for the tips. I will not carry it to long. Just to and from my car. But good to know. Also if I have the choice of 12 and 15” I would mostly prefer a 15”.

Are you happy with the rumble otherwise? Any quality issues?

DJ Bebop and EatS1stBassist like this.
  4. Sounds like the 200 would be your choice then among the Rumble line.
    I have had no problems with mine. I bought mine used about 6 years ago. That being said, I don't play out. But it has exhibited zero issues. There is a current thread on TB where someone is having some yet to be uncovered issue with a 500 combo (the amp shut down on a couple of different occasions), but we don't know if it was an amp problem or related to power at the venue. Other than that, there seems to be few reliability complaints about Rumbles on TB. Overall though most modern amps are pretty reliable. You might do a search here for the amps of interest and see if anyone is having common complaint issues.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  5. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I have a Rumble 100 and a Markbass 121p. Play in a blues trio with occasional guest members (typically a second guitar.) almost always PA support available.

I vote Markbass. The Rumble is good, and has gotten me through a lot of gigs, now is a rehearsal amp. But the headroom and clarity of the Markbass make it my go-to, it’s a monster. I can always hear myself in the mix and just the right amount of warmth.

Mine is a 2007 model, and in 2020 I had to replace the head. I figured after 13 years, it did its job. I had a chance to switch brands and I chose Markbass again. (Awesome feature of the CMD series, the head comes out and you can replace with any Little Mark head.)

AlexanderB, Cloudspine, SJan3 and 2 others like this.
  6. Thanks
    Yeah, I’m leaning towards the CMD121P or the CMD151P. I can’t really find anything used of interest so I’ll probably get a brand new one. How is the bottom end in the 121P? I play 5-string. Does it struggle with the occasional lower notes or does it handle that good?

CallMeAl likes this.
  7. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I'd recommend MarkBass. They have a great combo line and the new series is ridiculously light. See MB58R at MarkBass.
    Also, if playing 5 string I'd say go for the 15".
    The 12" sounds great too but the 15" will give that B string a bit more girth.

DanielSkilberg likes this.
  8. acid bass

acid bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2010
    I will vote +1 for the Rumble 200. I'm in a GB band and play 5-string, it's got plenty of volume and handles the low B really well. Surprisingly easy to carry given its size.

I would have considered the Markbass amps, but I've never liked the garish yellow speaker and since my band plays a lot of weddings I wanted to find something that looked a bit more elegant. I've played a friend's though and it sounded great.

Al Rivera likes this.
  9. Thanks for the tips

I did just look over my economy. And read a ton of what I could find on Markbass. And I think it will come down to buying a new CMD121H IV. Seems to be a great compromise. I’ll be ordering one this week. I also just got a new “to me” used Sandberg California TM-5. Should be a nice combination:)

Kaa, PierrePretorius, willddd and 4 others like this.
  10. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I wouldn't dismiss a great sounding amp because of color. In fact, over the years the yellow has grown on me. Now, I embrace the Yellow. That's ITALIAN!!!

11. nightchef

nightchef

Feb 4, 2005
    Boston
    I wouldn't sleep on the Ampeg Rocket Bass amps. I recently happened to play through one of the 15s when I was auditioning a P-bass, and I was amazed at how good it sounded. Definitely worth checking out as a Rumble alternative.

12. GregT

GregT

Jan 29, 2012
    Southwest Missouri
    Another Rumble 200 owner and user here (see my profile pic). I also have the 100. They are both excellent amps. Reliable with a variety of great tones easily available. At 65 years old, I can easily load all my gear in and out in one trip.

13. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    IMHO, there is a pretty big gap between Rumbles and Markbass combos. The Markbass preamp is per default flat and uncompressed, and they "take pedals" well. Rumble preamp has some baked in voicing.
    Output power and dynamics is also better in the Markbass amps. The cabinets and transducers are better built, and allows more tone come from the transducer, rather than vibrating panels.
    With a second 1x12" cab, the Markbass will be enough for most scenarios, except maybe very loud rock, especially when played outdoors, and no band PA.
    There has been discussions about reliability issues for the currwnt Rumble series - was ut the 200 model?
    Oh, and DI is POST master volume on the Rumbles, to me a big NO-NO, especially if you use PA a lot...

CallMeAl, SJan3 and DanielSkilberg like this.
  14. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    I have been giging a Rumble 500 2x10 for 3 years and haven’t looked back, I also have the Rumble2x10 extension cabinet for outdoor gigs, & a Rumble 40 in my music room
    IMVHO
    you can’t go wrong with anything Rumble
    Duke

15. ProbablyTooLoud

ProbablyTooLoud

Aug 1, 2020
    Atlanta
    A used GK MB 210 or MB212.

LoTone, gepettus, DJ Bebop and 2 others like this.
  16. GregT

GregT

Jan 29, 2012
    Southwest Missouri
    It's been mentioned that the DI is post everything. True. It you turn your amp up or down, the soundperson will adjust. It works the exact same way when you mic your amp on stage. Exactly! Most of us don't constantly adjust our volume on stage. I've only received compliments from the sound crew about the quality of the DI.

17. Sub-Frequency

Sub-Frequency

Sep 19, 2017
    I own the CMD121P and can testify that it's a killer little combo. Light as a feather and sounds amazing.

willddd, DanielSkilberg and CallMeAl like this.
  18. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I don’t play 5, but I love the low end on the 121. I played a gig yesterday and started flat, but it was very bassy. Ended up turning the bass knob down to 10:00. I’ve never turned it past noon.

SJan3 and DanielSkilberg like this.
  19. Nebadon2000

Nebadon2000 Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    North Carolina
    I use my 'Elegant' Markbass Mini CMD 121P with great results:)

They have new series coming in September which includes MB58R Mini and regular [slightly larger] CMD121 Pure
    with upgraded tweeter also DI & EFX Loop on front amp panel [don't need to turn amp upside-down and use flashlight to plug in cables:)] 19lbs mini & 27lbs regular. Same deal with CMD 151pure 33lbs

PS: I now leave my cords/cables plugged in and shoved somewhat in rear port when not in use and carrying.

willddd, SJan3 and DanielSkilberg like this.
  20. Bass Jones

Bass Jones Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2018
    Austin, Texas
    What about the Ashdown "Studio" and "Original" combos? I have no experience with them but they seem to be within your price range and lightweight.