1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Amplifier

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jibudo, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Ashdown ABM 500 Evo III

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. Gallien-Krueger 1001 RB-IV

23 vote(s)
    51.1%
  3. MarkBass Little Mark III

14 vote(s)
    31.1%
  4. Euphonic Audio iAmp Micro

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. Jibudo

Jibudo

Mar 13, 2010
    Porto, Portugal
    It's time to buy a new amp.

I need a high powered amp that don't breakup with the lows at high sound levels. I am thinking about a 500 watt amp paired with a 410 or 212 speaker.

These are my options:

Ashdown ABM 500 Evo III
    Gallien-Krueger 1001 RB-IV
    Markbass Little Mark III
    Euphonic Audio iAmp Micro

I play most of the time rock and i switch between a perfectly clean and bassy tone and a distorted/fuzzy tone. I play with a yamaha with 5 strings, precision type with active electronics. I like an amp that has a nice clipping tone.

Witch one would you pick, and why?

Thanks, everyone.

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IME, while a good sounding amp, the micro will run out of poop at high levels, so i'd go with either the GK1001RBII (the most powerful of all that you listed w/ more headroom) or the Markbass LMIII. and i like Ashdown amplifier's tone, but i'm not familiar with that particular model.

3. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Why are these your only options?

4. Jibudo

Jibudo

Mar 13, 2010
    Porto, Portugal
    Price and availiability

5. Have you considered Carvin? They definitely fit the bill for high power at a competitive price point.

6. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Good enough reasons for me... I won't be voting as I don't have any experience with those four heads.

Good luck!

Matt

7. tony_clifton

tony_clifton

Nov 14, 2009
    Don't know if this one suits your criteria but the Orange Terror Bass is a kickass amp imho.

8. Jibudo

Jibudo

Mar 13, 2010
    Porto, Portugal
    It has a nice dirty rock tone (from what i've heard on youtube), but i think it will not have that ultra clean tone that i am also looking for.

9. Carvin BX500 at 4 ohms into a Carvin BRX10.4 neo cab - killer.:smug:

10. Jibudo

Jibudo

Mar 13, 2010
    Porto, Portugal
    I was reading about the carvin bx 500 and i was amazed with it's features, the only problem is that i can't try one before buy

11. Have you thought about a GB Shuttle?

12. Jibudo

Jibudo

Mar 13, 2010
    Porto, Portugal
    I haven't thought about that. In fact, between the choices i wrote, the ashdown and the gk are my favorites, in that order. I just wanted to know what you think. Thanks for all the replies

13. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Out of those 4 options, Gallien Krueger 1001RB-II, without a doubt.

Out of every option available out there, Gallien Krueger 1001RB-II without a doubt also. :bag:

Simply can't go wrong with that amp... or its little brothers.

It does clean very well, so add an overdrive/fuzz/preamp pedal of choice for your dirtier sound.

14. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    If you like the GK tone, you might want to give the GK Fusion 550 a try, which should be equally available to you here in Europe - it has the traditional GK tone profile, but with a bit of tube warmth and grit. IME, it would get you a tone somewhere between the GK and the Ashdown (with some EQing). I had one for a short time and when you crank the gain, it had the best tube breakup of any hybrid amp I've ever tried. With big lows and a growly midrange punch, I think it makes for an awesome rock amp. And with the bi-amping, if you get a GK Neo cab, you can send the "tube breakup" tone through the woofers and clear high end through the tweeter, which is an awesome combination. You can do this I believe with the 1001 also, but you don't get that tube front end...

I ultimately decided to go with an all-tube head and sealed cab, so the Fusion wasn't for me - but from what it sounds like, it may be right up your alley. Oh, and by the way - this was by far the loudest 500W amplifier I've ever played through. Not sure why exactly that is the case, but sheesh - "melt-your-face" type of loud. With a NEO 410 or 212, you should be set to rock. Or get the 412 and crumble buildings...

15. This is my way of thinking too. I haven't tried the EA micro, but out of the other three, I would go for the GK.

16. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida
    Out of the options you listed and your needs, GK.

17. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    There Is No Questing In My Mind when it come to this ...GK 1001 II .....THAT's It!!!..and They Lived Happily Ever END OF STORY!!!... It dont Get any Better Then That!!!

18. Jibudo

Jibudo

Mar 13, 2010
    Porto, Portugal
    In my searching for my new amp, i thought i would narrow my choices, instead, the opposite had happened.

A new amp is on my list, the Genz Benz Shuttle. I was reading all about it and i am amazed with it's features, the tube preamp and the semiparametric mids are a must for me.

Just a question,
    Wich setup will be louder, or in other words, wich setup will start to fart with the lows sooner?

GB Shuttle 9.0 + Gallien Krueger 212 NeoII 8 ohms
    or
    GB Shuttle 6.0 + Gallien Krueger 212 NeoII 4 ohms

Thanks for all the repplies, you guys have been really helpfull.

19. Robo Bass

Robo Bass

Feb 20, 2010
    Dayton, Ohio
    I like GK products. In fact I swear by them. I have the 400rb and the Backline 600 and I play through a GK 4/10 cab., which at this time suits my purposes. I've messed around with the 1001 RB IV and I really love it's versatility in tone. Dude go for it!

20. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Shuttle 9 & 8ohm 212. That way you can add another 8ohm 212 down the road.

P.S. you could always add a VT pedal or BDDI to punch in more dirt when needed.