1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Ashdowns anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Low D., Oct 21, 2006.

1. Yesterday I went to our local Ashdown dealer to see what we are finally going to do with my order. He showed me a list from their new stuff!:confused:
    I remember seeing a new ABM EVO III series(!), some other products called Klystron, 2 models of Superfly (somebody in this forum mentioned something about a new 1000watt Superfly model), 4-ohm versions of the mini 4x8 & 1x15 cabs in paint spatter finish with Neo speakers(!), etc. etc.
    Has anyone seen anything from this products or are not still available? Also if anyone knows some other new products, especialy from ABM & AL models, please informed us too. ;)
    Their website is so poor about these informations, i dont know why! I m trying to find their full range of products... I dont want to order something and then find out that 1 month later I will see other newer, cooler and more powerfull stuff!:mad:

2. 1kinal

1kinal Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    I've heard about those new products, but never saw the official info. No idea when it will be available, but keep in mind that Ashdown has a tendency to market products long before they hit the stores.

I'm also very thrilled about those new products. The 1000 watts Superfly should be incredible! I've played the version presently available and was amazed by the range of sounds you can get. Unfortunately, it was not powerful enough and the power design is weird (stereo, 2x4ohms for full power, not possible to bridge to mono).

3. Yeah thats the main problem with the Supefly heh... we all have to wait for the 1000watt version then :)
    By the way, forgot to mension that the new cabs ABM line are more powerfull than the older. Older is like 300watts, but the new (I saw a 2x10) was 400watts!
    Its one of the cabs I m probably gonna get, since we had some problems getting some Aguilar cabs. Well the main problem was money, since it would cost me something like $600 at least for just one 1x12 (and I was thinking getting 2 of them)!!! ...You know shipping, taxes, etc. etc. So now I m going full Ashdown gear.

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

Ashdown is also offering a 1 x 10" Superfly combo with the head being removable and the speaker will be able to
    handle 700w.

5. 1kinal

1kinal Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Jauqo: Do you know if the new Superfly (head only) will be able to be bridged mono? Will it still be a stereo amp at 4ohms per side?

6. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    They should make an all tube head with a matching 8x10" cab! I'd buy if I could afford it!! I'm happy with my Ashdown stuff.

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I have no clue,sorry :(

8. 1kinal

1kinal Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    no problem thanks anyway!

9. I dont think its going to be bridged-able (see ABM EVO II 900)... but with optional 4-ohm cabs you ll be able to do the job right.
    I was wondering though why the AL line is so small. Where is a compact 2x10 and 1x15? :( Why I should buy ABM cabs for my AL amp head?

10. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    hope their reliability starts to improve as they are great sounding amps..

JR

11. I dont believe Ashdown has reliability issues. All brands have problems with some of their products some time. Either its their fault, either is the buyers fault... I dont trust 5 people who had problems with Ashdown so not to buy one! What about other hundreds of people having Ashdown stuff and are happy with it, with no problems at all?
    I was experienced many serious problems in the past with brands such as Ampeg, etc. That doesnt meen that all Ampeg products have reliability issues. Just like my SWR stuff were all perfect, but I had 2 friends of mine that almost every SWR product that went to their hands burned or broke down! Now who's to blame?

12. sloppysubs

sloppysubs Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

Do you mean Klyston as opposed to Klystron?

From the way I understand it, Klyston was the name of Ashdown before it was Ashdown. In fact, apparently, that's what Paul D'amour of TOOL played: Klyston 900 EVO.

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

the new amp model is named Klystron.

14. As many do, you are confused about the definition of reliability problems. Even the worst designed or manufactured product will not have a 100% failure rate. There will still be many more owners who don't have a problem versus those that do.

The definition of 'reliability problem' is a failure rate that is significantly higher than other competing products. So, a 10% failure rate would still result in 90% of customers not having problems with the product. However, the PROBABILITY of an owner having a problem would be much higher than with a 'more reliable' product that had a failure rate under 1%, for example.

I really like the sound of Ashdown amps, but given post after post after post of people having problems, it does seem something is wrong in either the design or manufacturing of their product IMO.

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I'm not here to defend Ashdown but all amp companies have reports of amps not working out for what ever reason,I've come across lots of owners(of other brands) who have issues with their amps going out,smoke coming from the amp,even the edges along side the speakers catching flame,etc. and a lot lot of them are not memvers of TB and in most cases no matter what the brand is a lot of players just don't know how to work their amp to begin with and they simply want to do nothing but blame the qaulity of the companies product.

In my close to 10 years of using Ashdown amps I have never had any of the problems as the ones I've read about here on TB.

16. Ok, I agree. But having to repeat in every Ashdown threat that there were reliability issues makes the "problem" look bigger than what it is, right?
    From posts I ve read most problems located back in the day of the first ABM product line anw. Now, I dont believe that Ashdown by knowing that, they did not tried to make perfect their amps and make everything possible so they will not make a bad reputation of their name no more.
    Anw, thats not the point of the whole threat, I just wanna know every new product available, so i ll be sure I m ordering the "right" gear for moi. :)
    Maybe we should send a secret agent over there or something 'cause I dont see something new coming through their website atleast for the next 6-8 months!

17. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    As this is not the automotive industry, the only ones who would have accurate quantitative data on the reliability of Ashdown amps over time is the company itself. I would be surprised if they would make that data public. Thus consumers are left with anecdotal evidence which is, as has been pointed out, inherently less “reliable”.

18. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    There should be some info on their new products on the site in a few weeks.

19. I do hope so! :)

20. sloppysubs

sloppysubs Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

Thanks Jauqo!

Perhaps my informant was a little off.

keith