1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Avatar Style

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SnakeAnthony, Apr 2, 2009.

1. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I like the look, but not for $100 more. Kind of takes the value out of the value cabinet... to me at least and I have 4 different avatars. 410, 212, and 2 210's.

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    However, being able to get cloth grills for existing cabinets you might have would be interesting... hmmm...

3. I approve, that does look very nice. If only they made one of those in orange or white tolex...

4. +1, however, compared to aguilar these are still a value cabinet, I'm really hoping they'll do the 112's, purple with black cloth, oh hell yes!:eek:

5. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    To clarify, its not $100 more for just the cloth grill. Its $90* for cloth and tolex; they don't offer the cloth grill option with carpet.

* On the 410 and 212, at least.

6. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I think it looks like a cheap, white plastic badge. I don't like it slanted, either. I like the old badges better.

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Talked with Dave at avatar...

Looks like $30 ea for a b210 cabinet $40 ea for a 410. Plus $10 shipping.

I have to say that's affordable, and something I'm definitely considering to have an option to make my metal grilled modern looking cabs look more vintage when needed with a swap-out of metal to cloth grills.

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I'm glad Dave didn't discontinue the Line-X coating and metal grills. Not everybody is into the retro/vintage thing...

MM

9. maevinj

maevinj

Feb 10, 2008
    ALB!
    wow, they look awesome. I'm going to have to save up for a 2x12 cab.

10. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Central Massachusetts
    I think they look great! The new logo is an improvement too.

11. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    +1, the cloth is only offered with tolex. The price difference between cloth/tolex and metal/tolex is only $40 for each model.

I really dig the cloth/tolex look, similar to the Aguilar DB series cabinets, which are very classy.

12. Laredo

Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY
    :D

13. Lunchbox4u_6

Lunchbox4u_6

Dec 1, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    If they had only had them a few weeks ago i would have purchased Avatar cabs instead of my Aguilar cabs...but i'm happy with my Aggy's

14. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I like it....The "New" Avatar logo is what they put on their vintage style g***** cabs, so it's not exactly a new style. New for the bass cabs....fo sho.

This topic came up a bit ago and I considered having my B410 redone. Still mulling it over. It appears that they screws are in the same place. Dave should offer a retrofit kit so that you unlucky guys who can't drive over to the shop can get away with not having to ship your cab back.

BTW: That burgundy tolex is schweet. Glad to see that they are offering nickel corners now as well.

15. shades990

shades990

Apr 1, 2009
    I am planning on getting a b410 NEO soon, so the whole "$100 more" comment scared me until I looked at the site. :p I prefer the look and durability of a metal grill.

16. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Ooooh!

Those are some sexy cabs! I love the burgundy with either the wheat or "Fender" grill cloth. Or the blonde and oxblood... too many choices!

17. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

I contacted dave at avatar about getting cloth grille covers for my existing Avatar cabinets. He replied that it would be no problem to do and they could send two covers together in one package.

So I'm taking that as meaning they work on existing cabs with metal grille covers.

18. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    A big +1 on that one.

19. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

That's the benefit of just buying the new grills... I can have both depending on what I'm gigging.