Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Petary791, May 11, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So I joined some new band. Supposedly they're pretty sweet. They're all juniors. I'm a freshman. I don't drink. 98% of my school does (those guys being part of it.) There's some house party at the end of the month that we're playing at. I call him and i'm like, "Is there gonna be parents there?" Laugh all you want. I'm like, "I want to play music, not to get drunk" being the bassist that I am. He laughs and says "Yeah they'll be upstairs." Should I trust him? What should I do? I don't care if they're drinking. My parents care though.

I'm not going to lie either.

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    If you don't want to drink, don't drink. Your parents are never going to be able to shield you from the people that do drink, though. So, if they will never let you go someplace simply because there is drinking, you'll never be able to go anywhere.

If your parents ask you if there will be drinking, tell the truth. Say, "Probably, but I am not interested in that, I just want to play music." If they don't trust you, talk to them about why not.

And stick to your guns. If you don't want to drink, say no. But also, don't get in anyone's car that's been drinking. I don't care how "fine" they say they are. They aren't. Trust me on that one.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    As always, Jazzbo speaks the truth.

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Oh, and by the way, if your band judges you, and makes you feel uncomfortable for choosing not to drink, then they're not the right band for you, regardless of how good the band is. You shouldn't be in a group that makes you feel bad about yourself.

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Thanks guys.

I am in no way interested in drinking. I'm not scared to be like, "Hey guys I'm not gonna be in this band if you're gonna be drunk all the time." just because they're juniors.

Thanks for the advice jazzbo. :)