New bass material

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by monkeylover009, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Right there muckers,

Been playin the bass for bout 2 an a half years now but ive found ive run out of insprining material to learn.
    Im into primus an some chillis and rush but havent heard the majority of there stuff.Anyone got any good hard song recommendations for me to try?
    Some new bands would be nice too! Sorta gone of the whole bass dominated theme so if any off use know a sorta metal band with kick ass bass give me a buzz.
  2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

From Primus I'd say "Tommy The Cat", "Jerry Was A Racecar Driver", "The Awakening", "American Life" and "My Name Is Mud". Les has much harder stuff I think, but these are some of my favorites ("American Life" isn't that hard actually, but it's pretty cool to play).

Rush has an extensive catalog, but the ones that instantly come to mind are "La Villa Strangiato", "YYZ", "Freewill", "Tom Sawyer", "The Spirit Of Radio", and "Limelight".

I'm not too much into RHCP, but I like their older stuff like "Higher Ground" (also easy but cool), "Backwoods" and "True Men Don't Kill Coyotes".
  3. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Have you heard of Symphony X? I'm not sure how good their bassist is, but I'd imagine he's good as the band is considered progressive metal. It does have the 80s sounding singing and screaming, but it really is a good band. Check some samples out at Amazon. I have The Odyssey.
  4. I like The Mars Volta...
    I think that's pretty hard...
  5. The first two mudvayne albums will inspire the hell out of you. The bass pretty much leads the whole album.
  6. If you want to be challenged, and want to play metal, Try some Iron Maiden. Steve Harris is one of the best and can bang them Bass lines out.
  7. two words...."classical thump" by victor wooten...if you can play this song then your pretty much set for life. check it out man