1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New bass needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by staf Wouters, Mar 30, 2013.

1. staf Wouters

staf Wouters

Jan 18, 2011
    Hello Guys,

I'd need a new bass.

It should

- Be LIGHT so I can do fun stuff on stage :D
    - Sound punchy, I don't like a mellow sounding bass
    - Look cool, Fender precision models are awesome, especially
    when whole the fretboard has that natural look.
    - be easy enough to tap, slap, etc. on :p
    - not be too expensive, I'm aiming around 600 - 800
    - be a stable bass, it's going to be used a lot on gigs

String spacing isn't such an issue.

I'd like to go 5string, but a good 4string would be awesome too. Let's see if you can give me some examples of both ;)

Most used tuning in my band: Dropped C

Influences (I like their bass-sound too!): The Fall of Troy, Tool, Tesseract, Periphery, The Ocean Collective, Cult of Luna, Intronaut, Protest the Hero, Dillinger Escape Plan, and so on...

Do you have any sugestions for me?

Thanks in advance! :)

Me :bag:

2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Carvin SB4000/SB5000 or B40/B50 series are GREAT basses. Everything you described with fantastic construction.
    The SB series has won many awards and the B series are similar, but with more traditional styling.
    I played them all in San Diego and finally ordered a B40 in Blueburst. Can't wait. :hyper:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshop/boltneckbasses.php

3. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Get an old MIJ Fender Jazz Bass. You won't regret it.

4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of the Fender Aerodyne Jazz, and from what I'm seeing, it looks like it fits most of your criteria, except for the P-bass part.

Light? Quite so. Mine weighs exactly 8.5lbs.

Punchy? Definitely. The P/J configuration allows for a great variety of tone. Add the right strings and there ya go! Personally, I like the Ernie Ball Cobalts and DR Black Beauties (which I believe are just coated Sunbeams) for that bit o' grit in my sound.

Look cool? See for yourselfÂ…

FenderAerodyneBlackBeauties_zps974f8653.

FAJB.

You don't get much more natural lookin' than a fretboard without inlays. (It does have side dots for visual reference)

Slap-able? Most assuredly!

Price? It goes for $800, brand new. I usually see used ones going for $500-$600.

Stable? Whoever owned mine before me put it through it's paces (note the dings and chips on the front and the end of the headstock), yet when I brought it in for my first set-up, they told me all it really needed was new strings and a little cleaning around the pots.

Down-tunings? The Hipshot BT10 was made for the Japanese models. Mine fit perfectly, no new screw holes needed. Drop-D is no problem, but I've been considering getting a Double-Stop de-tuner to go from E to D to C.

Here's the specs, if you're interested. Plus there's an Aerodyne Club, if you have any questions.

5. Most of the criteria you mentioned can vary bass to bass, brand to brand. Weight is variable. You need to sit down with some different brands and instruments and try them out. "Looking cool" can mean different things to different people. One thing I will recommend is to try and find a good used bass. You can get so much more for your money than if you buy new.

6. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Basses are variable, but a PJ 5er comes pretty close to criteria. Unfortunately not so easy to find! Mine are a reworked Squire and a reworked SX. Note this:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/fender-aerodyne-5-a-682844/

But jazz neck pickup not PJ (note comments of people Jonesing for PJ).

Carvin is great too, but Jazz. I wonder if Carvin will do a P neck pickup custom for you? That would be killer.

Why are PJ 5ers so rare? Fender doesn't even make one!

7. I had an ibanez SR 405, played primarily in drop C, great bang for your buck bass, super light, great tone, and huge range of tones, lots of options. And the quilt top was just gorgeous

Attached Files:

8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

That's why I mentioned the Hipshot de-tuners. In case he can't find a light-enough fiver, he can have something on the lighter-side while still getting down to "D", or even "C", without too much "string floppiness". But if going down to "B" or "A" is necessary, then…yeah, a fiver would have to be the better choice.

You're right about one thing, P/J fivers are rather thin on the ground, especially in the Fender family. I suppose one could open up the neck pickup and pickguard cavity to take an appropriate P-pickup. But that would be some serious alteration. Not to say it hasn't been done. In fact, someone earlier today showed how they converted a Jazz to a P/J Jazz. But damn, that's starting to sound a lot like "work". :D

Here's an idea; Hey staf, what about a P/J four-banger using a low-B string? In other words, a four strung and tuned to "BEAD"?