1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New bass=new favorite strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by wshines1892, May 16, 2011.

1. I sold the old precision to pick up a Warwick, because Warwick makes a fine bass. However, after putting a set of the old reliable XLs, it's not giving me the sound I like from XLs. There's plenty of low end, and low mids for that matter, but it's just sort of muddy sounding. Is this an issue of strings, or of pickups being too close to the strings? The pickups are up pretty high, but I didn't want to mess with them in case the answer was as simple as using prosteels instead. Can magnetic pull account for mudiness?

2. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    absolutely. lower the pickups and see if it helps. It's the free option, after all!

3. Evan Ciambrone

Evan Ciambrone

Nov 22, 2006
    Could just be that you bought a warwick, I always think they sound kind of muddy.

4. whoops. Looks like all I had to do was find the presence knob on the v-amp. Now I'm getting the grind/clank I was looking for. once I found the depth knob I cleared up the mud too.

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Ive occassionally had a bass that wanted brighter sounding strings then rotosound swing66. For those I did use other strings to get that needed sound tweak. But I allways ended up not keeping those basses cause sound just wasnt really there. Nver been a fan of xl's though for strings. Though many do like them.