Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass recommendation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass9865, Aug 3, 2004.

1. bass9865

bass9865

Aug 3, 2004
    Can anyone recommend a bass between 4 and 5 hundred dollars?Any electric bass guitar with good sound and a nice design, but not a Fender.

Thanx

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Pretty broad spectrum there. Before everyone else jumps down your throat about it, how about givin' us a bit more info? The more ya give us to work with, the more helpful we can be...
    What's your style? If you play in a band, who do you cover (or if originals what do you sound like and what do you want to sound like)?
    What pickup arrangement are you seeking? P, J, humbucker?
    Active, passive?
    Anything else that'll help us, just blurt it out. There's alot of info here...
    There's about a million companies out there, and a million options with each. Every one you can decide on will help us give you an answer.
    Ray

Edit: why not a fender? mostly just curious on this one...

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Get Nino to build you a cardboard bass. He'll work his magic and It'll be a fodera x 15.7.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    *giggle*

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Spector has a line or two in that price range, they play very nicely... Warwick RockBass is also an option and they play nicely.

Ibanez has some good stuff in that range, I would recommend you have a look at them...

Also, have a look at peavey. their stuff is the shizzle. *Hugs his g bass*

Why not fender?

7. It seems like the answer is usually "my bass".

8. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Check out the 'Korean' Spectors or a used 'Czech' Spector 'Re-Bop' bass.... you'll be more than happy. :) :bassist:

9. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Yup, the Spectors are pretty nice. I much prefered the MTD Kingston, but you should check that one out for yourself. You could even get a PAIR of nice Essex basses from rondo music.

10. Althius

Althius

Jul 25, 2004
    For what its worth I've just spent the last two weeks agonizing over a similar situation. My price range was *slightly* higher than yours, but it came down to a few basses... and I went with the cheapest which just about meets your criteria.

Tribute L-2000 - Got mine with gig bag for $529.00, its certainly worth adding to your list. Wide range of tonal options really makes it versatile.

11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    +1. G&L's Tribute Series basses are great. But if for some reason, they're too Fender-ish for your taste, I recommend Spector.